Radio And Telly Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can i split a signal from a virgin+ box (Read 4129 times)
timbernew

Have you tried FrequencyCast
yet?

Can i split a signal from a virgin+ box
Jul 27th, 2009 at 3:22pm

I recently had a v+ box installed to replace my original virgin set top box, i have a splitter box that successfully sent pictures to 4 sets around the house, 2 of these are new and digital, since the v+ box was installed i can not get a picture on any of the other 4 sets, can anybody help me???

Cheers Cry

IP Logged

StoppingService
Guru

Western Anglia
Re: Can i split a signal from a virgin+ box
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 1:20am

Hi

StoppingService wrote on Jun 3rd, 2009 at 8:21am:
Inconveniently to some, the Virgin's RF modulator (but not the loop-thru) is disabled when its HDMI connection is used!

If you've used an HDMI lead between the V+ and the main TV, disconnect it and use a Scart lead instead!

If that doesn't restore Virgin pictures to the child TVs, you need to adjust the analogue tuning of the child TVs to match the frequency used by the V+ box - which is evidently different from the setting of the previous box. Switch-on the V+ and select a live subscription-only station.

On each of the child TVs, select the Preset previously used for the old Virgin box. Then enter the TV's Manual Tune mode and adjust until you find the Virgin subscription station signal - and store!

If you just must use your main TV's HDMI input (for HD) and still want Virgin stations on the "other" TVs, you'll have to find a scrap VCR to use the technique below:

StoppingService wrote on Jul 11th, 2008 at 6:52am:
Workaround: Insert a VCR into the aerial/RF wiring loom in-between the V+ and the splitter. Connect the V+ "VCR/Recorder Scart" to the VCR's "AV2 Scart". Keep the VCR switched-on permanently and AV2 selected on its Channel selector. On the "other" TVs, tune into the VCR's modulated output (of the Virgin signal).

Regards

Reality must take precedence

IP Logged

granfer
Guru

General Technical Help,
not $KY, (dirty word).

exeter.
Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 10:19am

If you haven't got a scrap VCR, use an RF Modulator with Scart input instead; they're still around. If you cannot find one, I'll sell you a brand new one... PM me.

Granfer

Retired TV, Radio, Aerial Systems and Electronics engineer. Fully "Hands ON" in all of those.

IP Logged

timbernew

yet?

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 4:58pm

Thanks guys, i will give it a try later and let you know how i went on, thanks again.

IP Logged

timbernew

yet?

Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 5:27pm

Thanks guys, removed HDMI cable, set to widescreen and now we have signal to all child tv's, we can only watch the program that is on the parent tv, whereas prior to v+ we could switch over in all other rooms watching any program not the one on parent tv, am i expecting too much? or is this still possible, opinions appreciated. Cheesy

IP Logged

StoppingService
Guru

Western Anglia
Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 6:10am

Hi

timbernew wrote on Jul 28th, 2009 at 5:27pm:
we can only watch the program that is on the parent tv, whereas prior to v+ we could switch over in all other rooms watching any program

Has the lead between the V+ "RF Out" socket and the "splitter box" been damaged in the course of the changeover? Check that it's a tight fit at both ends and/or try a substitute lead for that section.

Is this splitter box near the main TV or concealed in a loft? In either case, check it continues to receive its mains power.

Viewing of 1-5 was possible on the "child" TVs because Virgin is obligated to insert those stations' as analogue signals in amongst their own digital cable signals. I would've expected those analogue 1-5 signals to still be present at the Virgin wallplate. I suggest you conduct tests to check that's still the case.

Temporarily, unplug the V+ from the Virgin cable wallplate and connect from it directly into a (portable) TV's "Antenna" socket. Can you now view analogue 1-5? If not, select some unused Presets (e.g. "21-25"), enter the manual tuning mode and see if you can find (and store) analogue 1-5 onto those Presets. If they can't be found, then there's no point fiddling with your equipment within the home further - as the signals you need are no longer supplied to the Virgin socket! Ask Virgin if they can be restored.

If you can tune in Presets 21-25 satisfactorily, restore the usual connections at the main TV. Take the newly-tuned TV to a "child" room. Does the problem still exist when those Presets are viewed there? If so, I'm running out of ideas!

A theory is that the strength of the (new) V+'s own RF modulated signal is much stronger than that of the previous STB and of the analogue 1-5 signals from the wallplate. When the "child" TVs reduce their gain in response to the strong signal produced in the V+, the 1-5 signals are rendered undetectable by the "child" TVs. A method of tackling that would be to pass the signal from the Virgin wallplate thru a "aerial booster" before it enters the V+.

Regards

Reality must take precedence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print