Radio And Telly Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BBC iPlayer update!!!! (Read 6090 times)
bobhotep

Have you tried FrequencyCast
yet?

BBC iPlayer update!!!!
Dec 22nd, 2013 at 11:30am

Can anyone explain...........
I have been using iPlayer for a few weeks and this seemingly 'Beta' version has more con's than pro's. Now I notice there is an update to the program.

Considering that I have already twelve TV shows lined up in the player. My question is this...........

Will my already downloaded programs still be playable after the update has been installed?

(For example; the first installation of iPlayer screwed up so badly that, when it was uninstalled and reinstalled, the TV shows I downloaded initially with the 'first' NEW version would not play, as the repository was no longer associated with the 'second' installation; which was a complete waste of resources on my limited broadband).

Any informative remarks on this issue?

Thanks Wink

IP Logged

mkcomputing

Re: BBC iPlayer update!!!!
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 6:18pm

If your update is from one version of BBC iPlayer downloads rather then the old iPlayer desktop, which is probably dead by now, the update won't break your downloads, unlike some earlier "improvements". At least, it didn't here.

MK

IP Logged

ianmoticon
Guru

Fresh, Exciting AND Invigorating!

Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 8:59pm

There are no sure-fire guarantees with iPlayer. It's a bit like the winner of Strictly.

Equipment list: Dr Who's telly box, Freeview HD box with a big glowing button, TV with a screen, Blu-ray which says "See You" going into standby, glasses which make D go 3, sound all around, stuff

IP Logged

bobhotep

yet?

Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 4:48pm

Smiley
Thank you both for your comments.

I downloaded the update and installed it with baited breath, and amazingly the update recognized the original repository this time. All seemed well until I tried playing back the previously downloaded files which were mostly unplayable.........the unmistakable stutter, freeze and inevitably the 'green-screen-of-death' put paid to seven of the eleven downloads.

Hey BBC, that is approximately 4 gigabytes of wasted resource, or just less than half a month of my bb allowance. Wasters!

To top it off, some of the programs I downloaded were no longer available; 'tis just as well I could still get them via scheduled torrent and play them back perfectly on VLC player.

Hmm, makes me wonder whether I should bother downloading anything else from the BBC site. You simply cannot trust the quality of the software or the video files.  Angry

Viva piracy I say.

And a big fat finger to the BBC.
Wink

"My Dad says "There is more than one way to skin a cat and he's right").

IP Logged

bobhotep

yet?

Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 9:44pm

It seems that the update does not solve any 'content' issues.

Having downloaded another 2.4 gigabytes of shows from the BBC; once again the flicker, stutter and inevitable 'green-death' of the viewed downloads is still VERY apparent. I am absolutely certain it has nothing to do with my video card either.

I have wasted a great deal of time and resource just to find it going 'TIT'S UP' again. Its a shame the BBC wont refund the wasted usage to my ISP as I reckon that I have used over £8.00 worth of broadband this past month downloading their UNUSABLE programs.

However; I did notice the settings on my firewall were set to block certain aspects of the BBC iPlayer program by default. Could this be the culprit?
So I have enabled the assumed 'offenders' and will try once again; I just hope I don't get some sort of malware infection into the bargain.

Come on BBC, get your act together and give us less fortunate users a better service than this deplorable pile of SHI*!

IP Logged

Dan

yet?

Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 5:25am

You can see the release notes at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/dm/downloads/release_notes.txt

I had to revert to the previous available version to download, 1.0.2, at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/dm/downloads/win/1.0.2/BBC-iPlayer-Downloads.msi due to issues with 1.4.1.

Clearly the BBC are not releasing every new version to the public, which is odd.

Anyway, the only 2 improvements in 1.4.1 were the download progress details, and the ability to download files to any location.

However, the latter feature performs terribly if you locate files on a remote drive.  Their release notes state "We do not recommend that you use removeable drives to store  programmes on."  But I was downloading to a networked drive with equally poor download performance.

It wasn't just the download speed.  The whole app becomes unresponsive and eats up CPU.  My guess is that the new progress indicator feature is actually chewing up CPU trying to determine download amounts and speeds on the remote drive.  Just a guess.  Although speeds aren't great for local drive locations, at least it doesn't freeze up the app.

The other major problem I had with 1.4.1 was that when I maximized on my 24 inch monitor playback stuttered.  This did not happen with 1.0.2.  Again my guess is that they've done something that eats up more CPU and my admittedly old laptop can't cope with it, where it could with 1.0.2.  On a 1024x768 laptop monitor full screen playback was fine - but I'd rather watch on the bigger screen.

So I'm now back using 1.0.2 and dealing with all the limitations it has, which I can live with as compared to 1.4.1, which has issues I can't live with.

I weep that I can't download WMV files and play them on a real video player.  Cry

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2014 at 12:52pm

May  be more people should complain to the  BBC either by phone or emailing them. Or in the case of the APP there's usually a section where it says contact the APP developer in other words Feed Back your concerns
and leave a review for that APP!

IP Logged

bobhotep

yet?

Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2014 at 1:06pm

I have fiddled with a couple of settings on my laptop now and things seem to have improved a little.

I mean a 'little'; disabling my antivirus does make things speed up a bit, although CPU usage upon downloading is still pushing the 85% mark making my pc a tiny bit more responsive, still not acceptable though, as disabling AV is not advised.

I'm wondering what other processes I can kill.

My browser is still reaching 256,000kps whilst dling, should I kill that too? Or will that just break the file? Problem is that I will have to wait up till midnight to find out, free broadband at that time uc.
AND at something like 850kbs a second it takes 30 minutes to dl a 60min program just to find this out. Yawn.........Try to find some half decent stuff for half an hous to experiment with.

1366x768 screen resolution here and quality not bad on average dl
but HD is definately a no-no.

Pity theBBC doesn't come up with something that just WORKS instead of compromising your PC........

The trouble is that these big companies just don't care one bit. 'You got a lousy PC.....F**k off and buy something with a better spec' attitude.

I've noticed now you can actually contact them about an issue, unfortunately we have got a couple of boxes to input a very limited amount of information. THEN it TIMES-OUT!!!!
How to piss people off the professional way indeed.  Angry

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2014 at 2:28pm

Callll the BBC Infomation line on :
0370 010 0222 and listen to the options then speak with a advisor who will log your complaint for you Smiley

IP Logged

bobhotep

yet?

Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 7:38pm

Angry
Reported!

Still the same issues, no feedback, nothing, complete waste of time.

It's easier to get a torrents than a legitimate BBC iPlayer downloads..........

I wonder why?

Probably because it is  s:-Xt!

I rest my case

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #10 - Feb 9th, 2014 at 1:33am

bobhotep wrote on Jan 30th, 2014 at 7:38pm:
Angry
Reported!

Still the same issues, no feedback, nothing, complete waste of time.

It's easier to get a torrents than a legitimate BBC iPlayer downloads..........

I wonder why?

Probably because it is  s:-Xt!

I rest my case

I know how feel on a completly different problem but still to do with the
damn BBC The main thing is you can't speak
directly to a technical person or help desk as such The Beeb used to be a flag ship corporation but the ship has sunk a lomg time ago!!!!
Angry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print