Radio And Telly Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 97
Send Topic Print
digisender tv Smartmedia box (Read 44954 times)
frank59

I used to be a guru on
here !

Blackburn
digisender tv Smartmedia box
Dec 28th, 2013 at 5:57pm

This thread is solely for the Smartmedia box.

Other discussions regarding digisender tv devices can be found in the "bid.tv launches digisender internet tv access" thread.

I will post findings here that I think will be relevant to new users.
Any other new users, please post your experiences, tips or tricks in here.

If anybody would like me to test any services, apps or workings of the box, please feel free to ask, I can't guarantee I will be able to give a full explanation of everything about the device, as I am still a novice myself.
As with any new device, you start from the beginning, and learn as you progress.

ATB Frank.

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Re: digisender tv Smartmedia box
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2013 at 6:31pm

Excellent news Frank look forward to hearing more about the DS Smiley

IP Logged

ianmoticon
Guru

Fresh, Exciting AND Invigorating!

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2013 at 7:09pm

I'm really looking forward to hearing about your box, frank59

Equipment list: Dr Who's telly box, Freeview HD box with a big glowing button, TV with a screen, Blu-ray which says "See You" going into standby, glasses which make D go 3, sound all around, stuff

IP Logged

frank59

I used to be a guru on
here !

Blackburn
Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2013 at 4:35am

Everything that's required to operate the Smartmedia box is included in the package ie. the box, leads, RF (radio frequency) remote control and a simple guide to get started.

Set-up is very easy, following the simple guide.

Upon first few uses of the box, I found the RF remote control to be rather awkward, the pointer/curser visible on the TV screen seemed to start to lag behind where I was pointing the remote at, whereas I then had to point the remote to extreme left or right to bring the pointer/curser back into line to where I was pointing the remote at.
I also found it tiresome trying to write even a brief sentence using the on-screen keyboard, pointing the remote at a letter then pressing OK to write words.

In my opinion, a wireless keyboard is essential, to input text into the browser address bar, complete username/password fields and general typing.

Digisender tv have an extensive list of compatible accessories here;

http://products.aei.eu/digisender/accessories.html?limit=15

Also a suitable alternative to the remote control could be a wireless mouse.
I already had a wireless mouse, which worked with the Smartmedia box, details of the mouse I am using can be found here;

http://direct.asda.com/Polaroid-BlueEye---mouse/000567300,default,pd.html

Mine cost around £7-£8, and never any trouble with it.

Buying a non-digisender wireless keyboard can be frustrating, with a trial and error basis coming into effect.
I bought a logitec wireless keyboard with trackpad from PC world, but that didn't work with the Smartmedia box.
Seeking advice from the "tech people" at PC world and Maplins was met with scratching of heads and raising shoulders, as they had not heard of a TV set-top-box that had the full version of the latest android operating system running on the TV. All the wireless keyboards were compatible with windows PC operating systems, was as much as they could tell me.
  I decided to go for a fairly basic wireless keyboard, then if it didn't work, I could use it for something else.
To my surprise, it worked first try out of the box. Details of it here;

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/pc-accessories/keyboards/keyboards/logik-lkbwlrd13...

Sale price £14.99  (normal price £19.99).
It's very compact and looks very stylish. I'm pleased with it.
Still getting used to what keys do what.

So, with a combined outlet of £23, I've got a keyboard and mouse for my digisender Smartmedia box.

More soon..

ATB Frank.

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Waltham TV region, Midlands
Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2013 at 12:26pm

Helpful feedback which AEI may wish to be told of, so I will post a link to this discussion on the existing one for the Digisender TV and iMediaBlaze Internet tablet.

LINK: Send a message and profile and recent posts

As I expected, a learning curve for the Digisender TV is improved if using suitable accessories to input text rather than using a virtual keyboard. The remote control that's provided has been shown by Shaun as a very fast scrolling action across the User Interface and that is something that AEI may yet customise, to a slower speed action user option, as can be set up when we use our PCs eg Control Panel settings.

The Internet web browsers that are available may be tested as to which ones prove more user-friendly.

Those who have bought the Digisender TV may also decide to make a further purchase of the wi-fi iMediaBlaze Internet tablet...

Shaun proved that there is a microphone app for the iMediaBlaze Internet tablet for direct speech conversion to text. (Thus reducing the need for the virtual keyboard or extra accessories.) Google search responds and provides some search results on these spoken questions. Shaun told us that Google has significantly improved the responses to spoken text. So maybe more customers will prefer the wi-fi tablet features rather than the Digisender TV or just as a second Internet device for the family.

sky.com virginmedia.com freeview.co.uk freesat.co.uk netgem.tv
tinyurl.com/fetchtvstarter skyuser.co.uk/forum ukproxyserver.net
moneysavingexpert.com ebay.co.uk tinyurl.com/recentrtf www.google.com

IP Logged

frank59

I used to be a guru on
here !

Blackburn
Reply #5 - Dec 29th, 2013 at 5:11pm

denismartindale wrote on Dec 29th, 2013 at 12:26pm:
As I expected, a learning curve for the Digisender TV is improved if using suitable accessories to input text rather than using a virtual keyboard. The remote control that's provided has been shown by Shaun as a very fast scrolling action across the User Interface and that is something that AEI may yet customise, to a slower speed action user option, as can be set up when we use our PCs eg Control Panel settings.

In the android operating system, there is a settings app/page where you can go to display options, and adjust "pointer speed".
This does not cure the "lag behind" that I am experiencing with my remote control.

ATB Frank.

IP Logged

frank59

I used to be a guru on
here !

Blackburn
Reply #6 - Dec 29th, 2013 at 5:19pm

denismartindale wrote on Dec 29th, 2013 at 12:26pm:
The Internet web browsers that are available may be tested as to which ones prove more user-friendly.

If you want browsers, take a look here;

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=browser&c=apps

ATB Frank.

IP Logged

frank59

I used to be a guru on
here !

Blackburn
Reply #7 - Dec 29th, 2013 at 5:23pm

frank59 wrote on Dec 28th, 2013 at 5:57pm:
   This thread is solely for the Smartmedia box.

Roll Eyes   Smiley

ATB Frank.

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #8 - Dec 29th, 2013 at 11:10pm

frank59 wrote on Dec 29th, 2013 at 5:23pm:
       Roll Eyes   Smiley
My sentiments excatly Frank Smiley Looking forward to hearing more about the keyboard tests! What model number is it?

IP Logged

ianmoticon
Guru

Fresh, Exciting AND Invigorating!

Reply #9 - Dec 29th, 2013 at 11:25pm

frank59 wrote on Dec 29th, 2013 at 4:35am:
  Everything that's required to operate the Smartmedia box is included in the package ie. the box, leads, RF (radio frequency) remote control and a simple guide to get started.

Set-up is very easy, following the simple guide.

Upon first few uses of the box, I found the RF remote control to be rather awkward, the pointer/curser visible on the TV screen seemed to start to lag behind where I was pointing the remote at, whereas I then had to point the remote to extreme left or right to bring the pointer/curser back into line to where I was pointing the remote at.
I also found it tiresome trying to write even a brief sentence using the on-screen keyboard, pointing the remote at a letter then pressing OK to write words.

In my opinion, a wireless keyboard is essential, to input text into the browser address bar, complete username/password fields and general typing.

Digisender tv have an extensive list of compatible accessories here;

http://products.aei.eu/digisender/accessories.html?limit=15

Also a suitable alternative to the remote control could be a wireless mouse.
I already had a wireless mouse, which worked with the Smartmedia box, details of the mouse I am using can be found here;

http://direct.asda.com/Polaroid-BlueEye---mouse/000567300,default,pd.html

Mine cost around £7-£8, and never any trouble with it.

Buying a non-digisender wireless keyboard can be frustrating, with a trial and error basis coming into effect.
I bought a logitec wireless keyboard with trackpad from PC world, but that didn't work with the Smartmedia box.
Seeking advice from the "tech people" at PC world and Maplins was met with scratching of heads and raising shoulders, as they had not heard of a TV set-top-box that had the full version of the latest android operating system running on the TV. All the wireless keyboards were compatible with windows PC operating systems, was as much as they could tell me.
  I decided to go for a fairly basic wireless keyboard, then if it didn't work, I could use it for something else.
To my surprise, it worked first try out of the box. Details of it here;

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/pc-accessories/keyboards/keyboards/logik-lkbwlrd13...

Sale price £14.99  (normal price £19.99).
It's very compact and looks very stylish. I'm pleased with it.
Still getting used to what keys do what.

So, with a combined outlet of £23, I've got a keyboard and mouse for my digisender Smartmedia box.

More soon..

There are a lot of negative points in here frank59, with regards to what you get "out of the box".

Equipment list: Dr Who's telly box, Freeview HD box with a big glowing button, TV with a screen, Blu-ray which says "See You" going into standby, glasses which make D go 3, sound all around, stuff

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #10 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 1:04am

Can you expand on why motty? Smiley One negative might be because some keyboards may not work on the DS I maybe wrong but I don't know of any Android device that All keyboards (wireless or other wise) would work on is there one!?  Be interested to hear what Frank thinks!

IP Logged

frank59

I used to be a guru on
here !

Blackburn
Reply #11 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 2:49am

Bigboyuk wrote on Dec 29th, 2013 at 11:10pm:
My sentiments excatly Frank Smiley Looking forward to hearing more about the keyboard tests! What model number is it?

I posted a link to it.
Model number is;  LKBWLRD13

ATB Frank.

IP Logged

frank59

I used to be a guru on
here !

Blackburn
Reply #12 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 3:02am

From what I was told in PC world, all the keyboards were windows compatible, and they had not heard of a keyboard that would be compatible with the android operating system.

If people were paying attention, they would have noticed that I have previously stated as such.

ATB Frank.

IP Logged

frank59

I used to be a guru on
here !

Blackburn
Reply #13 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 3:23am

Granted, the post sounds negative.
But from what I got "out of the box", I've merely replaced the remote control with a wireless mouse, at the cost of 8 pounds, which I already had. Some people might like the remote, but it's not for me.
I didn't buy a keyboard with the package from AEI, at a cost of almost 30 pounds, instead I bought my own, albeit after some trial and error, for the cost of 15 pounds. It won't be as good as the one from AEI, but it does what I need it for.

ATB Frank.

IP Logged

frank59

I used to be a guru on
here !

Blackburn
Reply #14 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 3:37am

If there was a forum for these devices, other users could offer advice as to what accessories worked or not on these boxes.
At present, there doesn't seem to be any user forums around on the internet.
So, its going to be a lot of trial and error usage for the forseeable future.

ATB Frank.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 97
Send Topic Print