Radio And Telly Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BBC iPlayer Downloads - lastest version issue (Read 7139 times)
Dr. Quack

Have you tried FrequencyCast
yet?

BBC iPlayer Downloads - lastest version issue
Jan 2nd, 2014 at 9:43pm

Hi all,

I've had iPlayer Downloads since it was launched, and recently upgraded to the new version (1.4.1) when the download link became available within the app a few weeks ago.

I'm not having major issues with it, but I've noticed that it downloads TV shows at a speed of less than 5MB per second despite me having a really fast BT fibre connection.  It generally won't download at more than 4MB/s.  I know it's not my internet connection, because I still have the old BBC iPlayer desktop application (the 'orrible one) and it still downloads my season record programmes at 30MB/s.

I contacted the BBC about this, and they just came back today to say it may just be my internet connection...but it makes no sense because the speed is 6x as fast on the older app.  The only issue is, I can't download anything new with the older app, just the stuff I had on season record.  The BBC e-mail said I could try uninstalling and reinstalling, which I've tried and had no luck.  I thought it may be my computer so tried it on a different one (that didn't have the app installed before)...and still the same thing.

I even went on the BBC site and did their speed test, which provided the following results:

Download speed: 36744
Streaming Speed 1: 10345
Streaming Speed 2: 20494
Streaming Speed 3: 20637

It says my connection is suitable for everything.

Is anyone experiencing the same issue or have any advice?  What speeds are you guys getting when downloading on the new app?  Anyone have the old app and seeing much faster speeds in comparison?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Re: BBC iPlayer Downloads - lastest version issue
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2014 at 12:52pm

Hi I can't really help but would say there is definately a problem with the new App prehaps a bug is present what else could it be And yes it does annoy me too when any tech support people say it must be your internet connection! You have done Speed Tests and everything is ok you have installed the new App on a different Pc
and the problem is still there and you have uninstalled and re installed the App to no avail. So email the BBC again stating what you have done test wise etc. And make some noise when complaining Smiley Let us know how you get on!!

IP Logged

mkcomputing

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2014 at 6:22pm

My downloads are about as fast as my slow BT internet connection allows.

Maybe you use an ISP that "throttles" downloads for some some protocols.

Even if something works fine with one downloader, the new one may be using a different protocol. For example, in the early days the BBC used Torrent technology, believe it or not. Maybe the two downloaders use different approaches and this is provoking the ISP to apply the brakes.

MK

IP Logged

Dan

yet?

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 5:11am

I noticed that 1.4.1 was slower as well.  I had a copy of 1.0.2 and uninstalled 1.4.1 and reinstalled 1.0.2 with no issues and I can still download with 1.0.2.

If you go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/dm/downloads/release_notes.txt you can see all the version release notes.  However, not all versions were made available to download.

I contacted the BBC and they indicated I could revert to 1.0.2 (they didn't understand I already had) by downloading it at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/dm/downloads/win/1.0.2/BBC-iPlayer-Downloads.msi

I've tried to see if other versions are available at that address by changing the number and it appears that you can also download the following:

- http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/dm/downloads/win/1.0.0/BBC-iPlayer-Downloads.msi
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/dm/downloads/win/1.0.1/BBC-iPlayer-Downloads.msi

HTH.

IP Logged

Dr. Quack

yet?

Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 6:36pm

Thanks all.  It turns out I still have the install file of the last version of iPlayer Downloads, so I uninstalled the current one and installed the older one.  The problem is, with the older one it doesn't show the speed at which a programme is being downloaded at...so for all I know, maybe the slower download speed started straight off from the very first iPlayer Downloads version.

I'll write back to the BBC and will let you know how I get on.

EDIT: On a related note, can users here please let me know what download speeds they're getting on the new iPlayer Downloads app?  As mentioned, I am getting below 5MB per second.

IP Logged

Dan

yet?

Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 2:44am

Lucky you.  I downloaded 3 one hour programmes yesterday at a combined rate of ~0.9MB/sec.

I used to be able to download WMV files at 4MB/sec.

The excuse the BBC gave for not making WMV files was the extra effort on their part, or something like that, so I'd love to know why the new system also means slower download speeds.

If we had WMV files or equivalent portable file formats available, the BBC wouldn't have to try to reinvent a video player.  If they allowed us to download with our own downloading tools they wouldn't have to reinvent a downloader.  Instead they have delivered a tool that is poor at both of the fundamental jobs it has to be able to do: download and playback.

Angry

IP Logged

Bill Bullock

Windows 7 and Android
Smart TV box user.

Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 11:04am

I don't seem to have a problem with the latest version of iPlayer Downloads.  My broadband download speed is normally 5 to 6 Mbps.  Using a very slow Notebook computer, I just downloaded a 30 min programme in 8 min and the indicated download speed varied from 600 to 700 KB/sec.  I'm happy with this.  I wonder if keeping my computers clean makes a difference?

IP Logged

Dan

yet?

Reply #7 - Jan 11th, 2014 at 7:38am

I'm fastidious about maintaining a clean laptop.  I don't think I have processes that are slowing things down significantly.  This is a BBC issue.

IP Logged

Bill Bullock

Windows 7 and Android
Smart TV box user.

Reply #8 - Jan 11th, 2014 at 8:06am

It's very mysterious then.  I've not had a problem with any version of BBC iPlayer on a Windows 7 computer.  I only use MS Security Essentials to protect my computers.  Maybe my broadband provider is more compatible in some way.

IP Logged

Bill Bullock

Windows 7 and Android
Smart TV box user.

Reply #9 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 3:29pm

Funny things happen every day.  Today, I could not download a programme that I had missed.  I puzzled over it for a while, trying different browsers to access the programme on BBC iPlayer.  Then I discovered that the "Ad-Aware Security Add-on" had mysteriously added itself to my browsers.  It appeared to be using a Proxy IP address, something I know nothing about because I don't use a Proxy at the moment.  I deleted the add-on and suddenly BBC iPlayer Downloads sprang into action!

Have a look at your add-ons if you are still having problems.  They can be disabled temporarily whilst you experiment with downloading.  I hope this helps.

IP Logged

Dr. Quack

yet?

Reply #10 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 5:40pm

Got a response from the BBC the other day:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting the BBC iPlayer Support Team.

We understand that you find that programmes are downloading more slowly since installing BBC iPlayer Downloads.

There isn't any rate limiting in place. The BBC platform is currently uncontained and in theory if you have a 1Gbps low latency link you should realise downloads speeds of this rate.

Max theoretical on a 1Gbps link is 120MB/s, 100 is more realistic. The BBC platform has 2*80Gbps of connectivity with 50-60Gbps regularly used. Actual download speeds/rate are a factor of many things:

Bandwidth

Latency

Protocol overhead (layer 2-7)

Application overhead

The download speed displayed is calculated using the time taken to complete download from first byte to last byte of a 2MB chunk, so may not represent total available bandwidth.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to contact us.

A lot of that is gibberish to me, and I decided to give up and deal with the downloads speeds of 3-4MB per second.  However, today I received another e-mail from the support team (I hadn't responded anymore, so was surprised to receive it):

Quote:
Thank you for contacting the BBC iPlayer support team.

I understand that you're experiencing issues with slow BBC iPlayer downloads.

I can confirm that there is no cap in place to limit the download bandwidth at our end.

Can you confirm if you've recently updated to version 1.4.1 of BBC iPlayer Downloads and changed the default download location? We're investigating a small number of reports of slow downloads when downloading content to external storage using the latest version.

Having a copy of the log file , which is a file on your computer that will have logged all recent process with your installation of BBC iPlayer Downloads application is helpful.

Windows users can navigate to the log selecting the following form the start menu:

Computer/C: drive/users/AppData/Roaming/BBCiPlayerDownloads/Local Store/app.log

Please include the log file in the additional information box at the end of the iPlayer help contact-us form.

Once again thank you for contacting us.

I'm definitely not saving to an external device, but will look at sending them my log file.  I was on the older version and have now reverted back to 1.4.1, because they both seem to download at the same speed.  However, not sure why they're sending Windows guidelines to me, because I said on the form that I'm on a Mac.  I'll have to find out how to get the log, but if anyone knows, please do let me know.

Will keep you guys updated on how I get on.

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Waltham TV region, Midlands
Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 2:38am

While it's kind of you to provide feedback, all I've seen from the BBC iPlayer is the BBC IFPlayer, because if it plays then we hear no complaints and all seems well for a while, later on, it's up-the-creek AGAIN and we, as BBC TV Licence payers, are getting a sub-standard service, without compensation or refunds.

I respond by recording every BBC programme I can onto Freeview and Freeview HD, or via the Sky+ box, or the VM TiVo recorder subscription and Catchup and Youtube options.

sky.com virginmedia.com freeview.co.uk freesat.co.uk netgem.tv
tinyurl.com/fetchtvstarter skyuser.co.uk/forum ukproxyserver.net
moneysavingexpert.com ebay.co.uk tinyurl.com/recentrtf www.google.com

IP Logged

Dr. Quack

yet?

Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 8:38pm

Here's the final response I received from the BBC on this:

Quote:
Thanks for contacting the BBC iPlayer Support team,

We note that you are still encountering poor download speed when using iPlayer Downloads. I note that you have rolled back to the older version then upgraded again and still having problems.

We really appreciate you taking the time to send us a full iPlayer Downloads log file and this will aid the specific investigation on slow download speeds.

If there are serious updates or news they will be published to the BBC iPlayer help site.

We'd like to assure you that I've fully registered your concerns. This was included on feedback reports that are available to personnel responsible for maintaining and improving the BBC iPlayer service.

These reports are viewed as important documents that can help shape decisions on future aspects of BBC iPlayer across all platforms.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to contact us.

Looks like I'm just going to have to live with it until they fix it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print