Send Topic Print
What A Idiot!!!! (Read 2921 times)
Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
What A Idiot!!!!
Oct 3rd, 2014 at 1:37pm

ITV Player has had new update a few days ago I had turned of Auto Updates for obvious reasons! Any I was prompted to update to the latest version which includes the latest channel ITV Be so I thought if that's all it's changing shall I go ahead and down load it so I did And now programmes will only play (in poor quality) and only for a few seconds then it pauses and won't resume play back what a idiot Iam How ever Google play sys the DS Box is compatible with the update
but it isn't?? A few months ago I sent a email to ITV Player saying that the previous version did work ok and if I ever did update to a newer version and it stopped working could I revert back to the previous
working version  I was told yes. So Called ITV Player today who tells
me 1. The newest version was a 'forced' update and it would be installed any way I kept telling them It wasn't forced on me I choose to update to the newest version but ITV wouldn't listen So my question is on the ITV website is the previous version still available and i so where is it? 2. The previous app wouldn't have worked properly? Not true It did work fine as per my email to Bobby who works for ITV Player It was Bobby who said the older version of App will still be available even when a newer version is available. Regards

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Re: What A Idiot!!!!
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2014 at 4:28pm

Apparently the version of ITV player offered is dependent on what device and the Android version you are on well we DS users know that the 1.5Ghz box is running on 4.2.2 and has been like this since I bought my DS a good while back! And I was prompted on the July 31 to download to version 4. which replaced version 3.3.1 which also didn't work or play videos so I know the middle version 4 worked perfectly!! Good quality video play back, progress bar did work, pause worked and resume play worked also. Consequently I have now uninstalled the latest version 4.1.3 Oct update but when I go back to to ITV and check for Android devices it tells me it's installed?? But It isn't installed I have uninstalled it Grrrr Regards

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Waltham TV region, Midlands
Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2014 at 10:14am

We won't get very far if only using 1 DS box. We have to try to get 2 of the same DS 1.5 boxes and install updates on 1 not both. A forced update? Another example of the big companies who can't or won't provide different app versions for different devices.

Check the majority of computer and peripheral items for their driver programs that make the devices work and you'll find dozens of drivers that are on the Internet as downloads ie the maker has a website with a Support webpage and some options that isolate the required item and each version of the driver.

That's how they maintain the products over several years.

We don't get that kind of longterm service from every company, but when devices like the DS 1.5 are sold originally, the main TV Media services were demonstrated or mentioned as working OK.

A year later? We've no idea as there's no DS forum with customer feedback or workaround or reports of what some company representatives tell us.

The only solution is to buy different Internet devices to find which ones work OK today for whatever we want to get done today.

Complaints are a vital part of the on-going help to the companies as well as fellow customers.

In your case, the workarounds proved temporary. Your time and money proved insufficient to keep 1 out of 2 DS 1.5 boxes still working OK. The assurances you got proved worthless.

I could say, 'Welcome to the Club!' but as we're fellow members already, this is just another disappointment among many.

Maybe the Maplin company could be updated with your experiences so as to provide them with more research into this product and other Internet devices supposedly offering the main TV apps as working.

sky.com virginmedia.com freeview.co.uk freesat.co.uk netgem.tv
tinyurl.com/fetchtvstarter skyuser.co.uk/forum ukproxyserver.net
moneysavingexpert.com ebay.co.uk tinyurl.com/recentrtf www.google.com

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2014 at 11:09am

denismartindale wrote on Oct 4th, 2014 at 10:14am:
We won't get very far if only using 1 DS box. We have to try to get 2 of the same DS 1.5 boxes and install updates on 1 not both. A forced update? Another example of the big companies who can't or won't provide different app versions for different devices.

Check the majority of computer and peripheral items for their driver programs that make the devices work and you'll find dozens of drivers that are on the Internet as downloads ie the maker has a website with a Support webpage and some options that isolate the required item and each version of the driver.

That's how they maintain the products over several years.

We don't get that kind of longterm service from every company, but when devices like the DS 1.5 are sold originally, the main TV Media services were demonstrated or mentioned as working OK.

A year later? We've no idea as there's no DS forum with customer feedback or workaround or reports of what some company representatives tell us.

The only solution is to buy different Internet devices to find which ones work OK today for whatever we want to get done today.

Complaints are a vital part of the on-going help to the companies as well as fellow customers.

In your case, the workarounds proved temporary. Your time and money proved insufficient to keep 1 out of 2 DS 1.5 boxes still working OK. The assurances you got proved worthless.

I could say, 'Welcome to the Club!' but as we're fellow members already, this is just another disappointment among many.

Maybe the Maplin company could be updated with your experiences so as to provide them with more research into this product and other Internet devices supposedly offering the main TV apps as working.

The Forced update as such was just a simple notification on
the top left of the DS screen I had to click it to updateas on some apps like Tv services apps these are all turned 'off' And hand on heart
the previous version (4) didn't work for  a couple of days, it worked
every single time I used it  day or night. Not sure if this will work can apps in the case of the previous version of Itv player (the links) be emailed to another user using the same device or even off a phone tablet. Or if that doesn't work the July archive of Google play if available?  I asked  how does a device get on the list for inclusion they said we have to have complaints from lots of users before devices are even considered for any future updates so these devices will work. I suspect a lot of DS users will have a pc (for catch up tv viewing) and there for have no need to raise a complaint, but in some ways it doesn't make sense they have their DS connected to the big screen tv in their living room and lets watch ITV Player oh it doesn't work. Google play tells me via drop down list 1 of my devices my phone isn't compatible, but the Digisender Smart Media Box is so if it is, why isn't it working!!!!!! Regards

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 1:49pm

Phew I have decide to launch not the app (which is uninstalled) but go via the standard view using the browser so I am visiting iTV Player via the webiste and not the app view a full film live!!! And then tried a programme that was broadcast on  few days ago much better results and I can use the full screen mode both on live Tv and catch up Pic quality good so  for now a work around has been found! It's not always important to use app that doesn't deliver so IMHO it's best
to uninstall the app and try the website directly regards

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 7:24pm

User Interface screen and large cross graphic image on the lower right-hand side. That leads to the launch app settings eg standard or big view.

Sometimes when accessing these we see a top left-hand URL appear... That may help if used in a separate web browser, yet when we test as many as we can, we may find extra features or further MENU button options, so look for these and where it indicates extra Settings or customisations eg increase zoom or text size etc.

:::

Whatever options the DS box provides would need to be tested, so it's helpful to provide feedback here, as to any improvement on the disastrously-imposed "forced" update situation you reported.

Even so, the website URLs may need to be confirmed, because some are meant to be visited by PCs etc, while other URLs are meant for stb or set top boxes... or even mobiles such as URLS that include text like m. or mob. or mobi or mobile.... These URLs should be known by the webmaster or Tech Support and not all of them are known to us even using a google site search.

Sometimes we require www. or the same site name yet without the www. because even these may offer a different view as I noticed when visiting the www.poemhunter.com website then manually editing that to poemhunter.com ie viewing a poem's webpage. Some web browsers are already set with a default font size that could prove more helpful. Sometimes it's that different URL using a web browser that changes the text etc.

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 7:42pm

So if you check your web browsers with the website URL you mention, do you notice any benefits with any of the web browsers? I can't fully test with the DS 1.5, as I haven't got mine till it's replaced or returned in working order.

Storage space permitting, you may try a Google Play Store web browser search and test others.

http://tinyurl.com/searchgps

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=web+browsers

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #7 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 10:30pm

denismartindale wrote on Oct 5th, 2014 at 7:42pm:
So if you check your web browsers with the website URL you mention, do you notice any benefits with any of the web browsers? I can't fully test with the DS 1.5, as I haven't got mine till it's replaced or returned in working order.

Storage space permitting, you may try a Google Play Store web browser search and test others.

http://tinyurl.com/searchgps

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=web+browsers
So Far only Google Chrome has been tested and gets results that are good! The usual ads then no break and the programme starts and doesn't buffer or pause on it's own, but after a mins it jusmps only slightly but no jumps in the audio so it's passible,  but not 100%!
Recordable material?? Well maybe yes depending on wether you already have a copy of the porgramme or you haven't! But's a massive improvement on the app by far since Not being forced to upgrade to the latest version, it was my choice but wether if I didn't upgrade then within a say a 30 day period  it would infact upgrade even though auto upgrades are turned off for that app?? Regards

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2014 at 2:57am

The forced update situation is the decision of the app's creators yet gets no respect from us for its decision to bypass the user's consent or disapproval.

If, however, it was truly essential then we can't complain about that process. All we can do is to provide feedback on the known playbacks of each version we tested.

I believe that the major TV companies should consider the legal issues of denying a working version for the disabled users who expect the current version to be flawless.

If, in reality, that's impossible, then the apps' creators ought to provide a separate website offering previous versions that any device can downgrade to and then report back, yes or no.

That's how major companies usually run their businesses.

They don't provide today's version and tomorrow's version and then destroy today's version so what worked ain't around no more...

We don't have the legal right to host their files as an archive and couldn't be held responsible for damages. That's totally their responsibility in order to help millions of UK viewers.

Failure to provide working versions and supporting their on-going use is totally out of order and that's the current status of what the viewer gets with non-working versions.

A website offering previous versions would include the make and model number for each device and available versions that customers report as working.

A to Z makers and models then version numbers and download links.

Alternatively, the makers should have the legal right to host app archives to help maintain their customers' goodwill. Otherwise, the number of their product returns increases and the makers lose thousands of pounds of profits.

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2014 at 5:09pm

Is there a archive page for Google Play for July 2014? And I can't over what Google says on the web site it all depends on the device and version of Android that device is running it doesn't make any sense to me as the July ITV Player update prompted me to upgrade from from version 3.3 to 4 which as you know I did and I reported back on here that this version of app worked absolutely fine so it's not that difficult to provide the previous version since the Oct update
Either on Google Play or at the very least on the ITV website then we simple choose the version we know works or at least a simple download would confirm what version(s) work and what don't!
Obviously very old versions (pre for eg: 3.3) shouldn't be made available as technoligy is constantly changing so only a few recent apps would be fine to choose from we don't really need to know why a version did work we just know that it did Smiley Regards

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2014 at 5:58pm

When we first install an app eg from Google Play Store or install from the User Interface options, we add a file to the DS box and that file is something I'm wondering about. Could that be copied and therefore moved to another folder eg for backups? If clearly stored with its version number ID known, could we then uninstall a non-user-friendly new version and move the previous version back to its original folder such that it worked?

A forced update? Could that be reversed by uninstalling and using the earlier version's file?

But from then on, a new forced update could repeat the problem, so you may still need to have 2 copies in separate folders or locations.

The archive app files that Google may still access... The app's URL would be checked but Google cache may only go back a few days or a few weeks.

The www.archive.org service may help provide this year's files...

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2014 at 6:08pm

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.ITVMobilePlayer

As you can see, the version varies with the device, so all we'd know is what worked before, yet on what date was that installed or updated?

We don't all use the DS box on a daily basis such that we'd update as and when it became available.

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #12 - Oct 6th, 2014 at 6:27pm

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #13 - Oct 6th, 2014 at 6:58pm

When Google searches for the ITV Player URL, it also provides cache and related URL options which may lead to further versions and their downloads

LINK: example of a previous version...

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #14 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 12:55pm

denismartindale wrote on Oct 6th, 2014 at 6:58pm:
When Google searches for the ITV Player URL, it also provides cache and related URL options which may lead to further versions and their downloads

LINK: example of a previous version...
No Joy on the wayback site i had to transalate to english
then when i clicked on install nothing happened. apart from a a dialouge box with small print in it so i clicked add to wish list same thing happened! How ever the link in this  last post off you looks promising but where do you download from i clicked on dowload
got a page after that but where do you go from there?
And in any case it not the 3.3 version i want it's the next update from 3.3 but the one before the very latest one that I stupidly dowloaded Regards

« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2014 at 5:35pm by Bigboyuk »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print