Radio And Telly Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Adobe Flash Player (not working?) (Read 2313 times)
Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Adobe Flash Player (not working?)
Oct 17th, 2014 at 12:37pm

I decided to look at channel 5 on demand again but this time download it from Apitiode's store couldn't find it at first even by searching for it but eventually found it and downloaded it succesfully!

Tried to play a video and error message was a different one this time from the one I got a while back saying can't play this video on this device the error message I got today was you need Adobe Flash Player version 10.1.0 and above so checked the preinstalled App on the DS box and great as it is version 11.1.115.25  but when I came to launch the app while the page loaded and the URL was https://settings.adobe.com/flashplayer/mobile/ the https was green so no malware but the page displayed nothing???  Has Adobe been withdrawn for mobile devices? Can your self or Frank check the version of Adobe Flahs player is 11.1.115.25 and when the app is launched wether anyhing is displayed thanks! Regards

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Re: Adobe Flash Player (not working?)
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 3:22pm

Not sure why the page wouldn't load in Chrome browser so rebooted the DS and when trying to acess the Flash Player app this time I got complete action using browser the one built in the DS or Chrome so clicked on the built in browser  which loaded the setting page as per the URL 2 options 1. Local Access 2. or Peer Networking so clicked on Local access and more options appeared getting confused here so left settings on this page as they were! Went back to On Demand 5 tried another video to play the error this time was  can't play this 'protected' content on this device????  all the damn time hurdles are in the way of catch up tv GRRRRRRRR

Angry

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Waltham TV region, Midlands
Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 3:10am

I can't help at present as I haven't received the DS 1.5 set top box.

In the past, I have seen Internet web pages displaying I needed to update the flash player and then providing a link for this. However, some are merely bogus. Potentially dangerous. So the official website should be checked anyway.

We know that there are different URLs for PCs or mobiles or stbs and learning these could be helpful as they may help us to learn the other versions to be tested.

If there's a block eg you must register first, or a postcode limitation, we do what we can. If it's a rooted device problem, we might not be so lucky.

Protect content? What a stupid response on a service that's meant to be Catchup TV or Live TV.

The question for me is whether you accessed by using the 3 AV cables considered as linkable to a VCR or DVD Recorder? If accessed via the HDMI output cable instead with the 3 AV cable not connected at that time as well, does the same protected content message block access?

Furthermore, the 3 AV cables option has its own Settings which offer low screen resolution or higher. I reported that the lower option blocks a connection to a DVD Recorder's front panel's connection circle inputs or using a scart adapter to the rear panel input. It's the higher option that stops that block and lets me record to the DVD Recorder. Even if it didn't work immediately, it does now.

Can you check your DS box 3 A cables setting for its screen display options? I can't confirm any further tests about the flash player query or the prohibited content. You need to verify if HDMI is also affected and the higher display for the 3 AV cables first. Having some feedback can help us check further eg next week, perhaps.

Whatever the TV service is, can you also email the tech support via the app's webpage or the TV channel's website?

Some content goes out of its time limit, so no longer available, even if still listed as if it were.

If checked for yesterday's shows, are there enough programmes to check and confirm that even these are being blocked?

sky.com virginmedia.com freeview.co.uk freesat.co.uk netgem.tv
tinyurl.com/fetchtvstarter skyuser.co.uk/forum ukproxyserver.net
moneysavingexpert.com ebay.co.uk tinyurl.com/recentrtf www.google.com

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 3:17am

By the way, previous PC updates for the Flash Player led to webpage discussions about installing and using these. It was believed that some versions couldn't be correctly detected regardless of the version number being correct, such that there were responses eg update your older version...

When we visit the PC webpage for the Flash Player to be updated, it usually tells us our current version number.

With some PC programs like FilePuma, we get the latest reports of any updates being available eg current version number and new version number, so we update via the FilePuma link or directly from the official website, if that's up-to-date as well.

I've been notified of the IE version as well as the non IE version, so as to update both to let me get better use on Internet Explorer style web browsers as well as others.

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 3:22am

The URL for the mobile settings was tested on my Windows 7 PC and it led here:

macromedia.com/support/documentation/

then the rest of that www URL:

en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html

LINK: Settings

LINK: PROTECTED PLAYBACK SETTINGS!

Quote:

What are protected content playback settings?
Some content on the Internet is protected by the content provider using Adobe Flash Access. To enjoy this protected content, users must first get content licenses from the content provider. These content licenses are automatically downloaded to your computer, for example, when you rent or purchase the protected content. Flash Player saves these licenses on your computer.

To manage or deactivate these licenses, use the Protected Content Playback Settings panel.

LINK: PCP Settings Panel

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

NB NO IDEA whether there's some subscription required, or if this is part of the basic registration process required by some TV companies.

Also NOT SURE if it's a wi-fi access or a rooted device problem...

Tried here:

http://tinyurl.com/searchgps

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobileiq.demand5

August 12, 2014 version: It says it requires wi-fi to be at its best...

Not all content is allowed, see details:

This app provides a free catch up service for a wide selection of Channel 5 shows and archive programmes.
● To ensure you are provided with the best viewing experience, this application requires Wifi.
● You will need Android OS version 3.0 (“Honeycomb”) or above to use this application.
● Rights restrictions around content mean that not all programmes can be made available.
● This application can only be used within the UK.
● Channel 5 apps contain cookies. For details on our cookie policy please visit www.channel5.com. By downloading this app you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

::::::::::::::::::::::

So, once again, an advertised and highly promoted Catchup TV service which isn't fully explained, but encourages us to buy products like the Hudl tablet thinking we're gonna get what they say, but only to find out it's yet another "half-baked", "hit-and-miss",  "will-we-won't-we?" blessing.

The type that leads us off on wild goose chases across the Internet about flash player, wi-fi, protected content, AV cable connections, subscription rights and websites dealing with Tech Support.

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 11:09am

i Have had a   look for the pcp settings panel by clicking on the link you provided but can't find  the panel and no real description on how to reset these pointless licences? Can you guide me to this panel please!

Don't forget I am acessing adobe flash through the app and not the website you should on your 1.2
Ghz box have the adobe flash play app installled already!? it's a nightmare many people would have given up at this point!  Totaly agree with you it's supposed to be a
catch up tv service it's not a top secret thing that needs all
these protected licence agreements  this is not my idea
of fun Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2014 at 12:24pm by Bigboyuk »  

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 5:23pm

http://www.macromedia.com/

support/documentation/en/flashplayer/

help/settings_manager08.html

LINK: Settings Manager

This has a Settings Manager which looks like it's an image but, no, the webpage tells us it's exactly what it's supposed to be. If you can't see what the PC sees, then try the Support webpage.

To explain, the top icons have global type settings that the ALT tag will display for a PC. For other devices, we'd need the webpage HTML to include the TITLE tag as well with the same descriptions.

The text below the Settings Manager states the following:

Note: The Settings Manager that you see above is not an image; it is the actual Settings Manager. Click the tabs to see different panels, and click the options in the panels to change your Adobe Flash Player settings.

Use the Protected Content Playback Settings panel to reset license files that have been downloaded to your computer.

Some content on the Internet is protected by the content provider using Adobe Flash Access. To enjoy this protected content, users must first get content licenses from the content provider. These content licenses are automatically downloaded to your computer, for example, when you rent or purchase the protected content. Flash Player saves these licenses on your computer.

You might need to reset license files if the content isn't playing correctly. For example, a technical support representative from the content provider might advise you to reset your existing license files so that you can download them again.

Be careful when resetting license files. When you reset license files, Flash Player resets all existing license files for protected content that plays on your computer in Flash Player. You will not be able to access the content in Flash Player from this computer until you have downloaded new licenses from your content provider.

Resetting the license files does not actually remove them from your computer. To permanently remove these files, refer to this Flash Access Support Tech Note.

LINK: Support Tech Note

::::::::::::::::::

LINK: Learn and Support

::::::::::::::::::

From all that text above, I'm getting the impression that a subscription if it exists would allow protected content.

The original app webpage seems to indicate it's yet another pot luck service, rather than a subscription service for PCs and other Internet devices.

So check with the website for enquiries. The Adobe website may also have a mobile version we could explore, but for now, it seems for PCs only.

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #7 - Oct 21st, 2014 at 12:13pm

These licences do you have to ask (the content provider) Channel 5 oris a automatic process? Regards

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #8 - Oct 21st, 2014 at 2:34pm

i clicked on the image page loaded (set for desk top info)  and it tells me nothing and no tabs apart from
download the latest and last version of flash  player version 11.2.202.411  Your system: Linux 64 bit  English Chrome  so don't know whats what. the url is get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?no_redirect 

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #9 - Oct 21st, 2014 at 2:38pm

If such licences are automatic yet not for all Internet devices, eg rooted devices with extra security blocks or for older Android versions, then I can't provide any info for all I've got are the 2 DS 1.2 boxes.

I got nowhere with the TVCatchup app I installed over the weekend. I couldn't even load the Support Help webpage info for Troubleshooting advice.

If other Internet devices get Channel 5's services, then we may believe that licences are automatic if residents are in the UK, rather than if paying the UK'S TV Licence which such services wouldn't be able to confirm without accessing the TV Licence Database. It's a separate issue regarding a subscription, yet how would that apply to 5 On Demand if just for its basic TV shows and series?

Without an email to the ones overseeing this fiasco, we can't make sense of these stumbling blocks.

Is this another one of those options such as allowing from apps such as when we need to update the DS app? Do we have to switch that Settings option to allow from external apps regardless of these being regarded as from Unknown Sources?

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #10 - Oct 21st, 2014 at 2:42pm

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?_nodirect

That URL detects the incoming info for the PC or Internet device, and thus detects Version 15.0.0.189 and my Windows PC and states the version I've got eg Windows 32-bit (not the 64-bit version), English and MSIE (Internet Explorer).

That's because I'm surfing using that web browser rather than the Chrome web browser app you may have used...

It also tries to install McAfee Security Scan Plus, so before clicking Install, that box would be unticked to prevent that.

It's not always known what you see on your access to that URL, so maybe that McAfee box and info appear there, or maybe not. If not, then you can always get any progress since it could try to install on an Internet device and create another setback in the attempt.

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #11 - Oct 21st, 2014 at 2:49pm

There's another link for other PC versions and Operating Systems, but only Windows, MAC and Linux as expected:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #12 - Oct 21st, 2014 at 4:33pm

When I called channel 5 today the first agent told me visit the help pages and click on can't play protected content which I did for Chrome fairly straight forward  ( on a pc!!) doesn't get me any where
for the Android OS though, strange as the On Demand 5 is available as a App (for Android) which I have downloaded  have a look at this help page for videos that won't play protected content (sub section)
and see what it says. I called back in the afternoon got a different agent this time they said the App doesn't require a browser it's dependent on Flash player being installed which I have already got installed ( to me that is incorrect) You need a browser as this is the engine in any  device As far as I am concerned with out a browser you cant get any where!!!!  so far 2 out of 4 tv on demand services work and 2 don't. As for catch up tv it's live programmes and not
from the past 7 days like it was a couple of years back this service was great it seemed to by pass all errors normaly generated when accessing these services by the appropiate app(s)  and all the channels I checked using catch up tv worked perfectly. I emailed them asking them to bring back 7 days previous programmes they said it's licencing contractual problem with the individual broadcasters and there's nothing they can do about it. so may be there is another legal/ illegal site out in webland that does 7 day catch up uk tv? Regards

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #13 - Oct 21st, 2014 at 5:43pm

Does that mean you should test the big cross icon to get to the launch app options to test each of these for any improvements ie launch app?

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #14 - Oct 21st, 2014 at 6:35pm

denismartindale wrote on Oct 21st, 2014 at 5:43pm:
Does that mean you should test the big cross icon to get to the launch app options to test each of these for any improvements ie launch app?
I have tested them all and even visted channel5.com nothing the protected content cant be played. in the case of channel 5 and on demand 5 it's not a rooted error as the Apitode App that i downloaded the on demand 5 would have said do you want to unroot like it did on another app i recently dowloaded from the Apitode store which now works correctly. I can't believe the hassle and wasted time getting the video on demand services to work.
Another thing channel 5 said we have only tested the service on about 15 brands of mobile phones and tablets this is unacceptable as there are hundreds of different mobiles/tablets on the market no wonder lots of people can't uses catch up type tv services and don't bother to complain if more people complained then there might be hope for more devices to be able to get these services! Talk about a grey area, it's a very grey area! Regards

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print