Send Topic Print
View Telly App (Read 608 times)
Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
View Telly App
Oct 22nd, 2014 at 2:04pm

I downloaded this to my DS 1.5 box and it works! what's even better it plays perfectly channel 4 OD with no error messages like no net work connection/connection too slow. and channel 5 is also good no error message  regarding virtual licences  but sadly no catch up service on this app apart from films on demand. it just goes to show that these viewing hurdles can be over come. You can bet that View Telly haven't not tested this app on the many available devices
includng  Android STB's etc so it's a load of Cr@p that individual 
channels can't sort their apps out once and for all Regards

« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2014 at 4:03pm by Bigboyuk »  

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Waltham TV region, Midlands
Re: View Telly App
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2014 at 4:42pm

This post is being modified in order to address the following posts and links to the viewtelly app on the Google Play Store...

Read the posts but don't automatically visit and install the app, as we aren't sure it should be used as it is now. The PC users may choose to visit the links, but I got some sudden antivirus threat reports from the AVG antivirus program for some of the free channels. Whether these could affect Internet device users as well means it isn't as suitable as other apps whether we tick yes to download from Unknown Sources or not. The viewtelly app seems merely to use the FilmOn app URLs for their Internet stream channels for worldwide and UK TV live channels as the FilmOn logo appears on the screen.

Here are the following forum posts for reference...

In reply to Bigboyuk's initial recommendation of view telly (or viewtelly)...

Please confirm if this is the correct app ie October 2014, as described:

Watch UK TV for FREE, Anytime, Anywhere Free!
viewtelly Live TV enables you to watch live TV for free in Standard Definition on your computer or mobile device wherever an internet connection is available.
You can watch your local channels or select from our huge line-up of channels from the UK, US, Europe, Latin America and Asia. Watch live Sports, News, Lifestyle, Movies, Shopping, Kids and more.
Watch UK LIVE TV for free!
Watch over 200 LIVE TV Channels for free in SD
Watch over 500 VOD Channels for free in SD

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.viewtelly

« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2014 at 5:50pm by denismartindale »  

sky.com virginmedia.com freeview.co.uk freesat.co.uk netgem.tv
tinyurl.com/fetchtvstarter skyuser.co.uk/forum ukproxyserver.net
moneysavingexpert.com ebay.co.uk tinyurl.com/recentrtf www.google.com

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2014 at 4:46pm

If your app is worth sharing with AEI as well, perhaps they could add it to the next User Interface and replace bid tv and price-drop tv.

support
atsign
aei.eu

sales
atsign
aei.eu

webmaster
atsign
aei.eu

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2014 at 4:52pm

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=viewtelly+app

http://www.viewtelly.com/

http://www.viewtelly.com/feed/embed/TVGuide/

Please visit and confirm your findings.

By the way, notice that short Google URL? That's what happens if we log out of Google and thus avoid the long URLs that Google creates for even basic keywords...

Catchup TV requires a VPN?

http://www.viewtelly.com/?filter=catchup

The UK free channels didn't all play live TV on an older web browser, but it should help with Chrome etc...

http://www.viewtelly.com/?filter=free

Notice that some channels are merely powered by the FilmOn Internet streaming we've mentioned before. That means their logo stays on the screen.

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #4 - Oct 22nd, 2014 at 6:23pm

denismartindale wrote on Oct 22nd, 2014 at 4:52pm:
https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=viewtelly+app

http://www.viewtelly.com/

http://www.viewtelly.com/feed/embed/TVGuide/

Please visit and confirm your findings.

By the way, notice that short Google URL? That's what happens if we log out of Google and thus avoid the long URLs that Google creates for even basic keywords...

Catchup TV requires a VPN?

http://www.viewtelly.com/?filter=catchup

The UK free channels didn't all play live TV on an older web browser, but it should help with Chrome etc...

http://www.viewtelly.com/?filter=free

Notice that some channels are merely powered by the FilmOn Internet streaming we've mentioned before. That means their logo stays on the screen.
  When you mention older web browser which one are you talking about? Do I take it there is a catch up tv service after all?!  But you need a Virtual Private Network to get the service is this possible via the DS box? Regards

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2014 at 6:47pm

For most of my Internet surfing I use TheWorld web browser on the Windows 7 PC. This seems to be recognised as a customised version of an older Internet Explorer version.

So as soon as the BBC1 channel didn't load, I switched to the Chrome browser.

The http://www.viewtelly.com/ website isn't user-friendly if I get 2 antivirus warnings when trying to access the other channels or special themed shows.

I got AVG detections to safeguard me online, but other antivirus protections may detect other potential attacks and unauthorised downloads eg a setup.exe program I had to cancel manually.

If using the DS set top box or tablet or other Internet device, would a similar threat be detected in time or delayed till running an antivirus app such as AVG or other antivirus apps etc?

In the past, I've had antivirus scans on media apps that worked fine, but a week later and there's a threat report... So I uninstalled these apps.

I mentioned that several versions of the FilmOn app exist and some with different worldwide channels, so testing a new similar app may still prove of selected benefit to us. We can uninstall these and reinstall these for future use when we are low on storage space.

The Google Play Store should offer some VPN apps that could work along the viewtelly app or merely use URLs for Internet streamed channels.

Until we learn of these URLs in regard to CatchupTV shows, I don't know how to advise further, but AEI Support may have extra suggestions for their app tests may have already provided details which they could email or share online.

IP Logged

frank59

I used to be a guru on
here !

Blackburn
Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2014 at 2:24pm

I suspect the viewtelly app isn't totally legit.
They have all the sports channels from sky and bt, which is breaking copyright.
I've seen a few apps similar to this one, they seem Ok at first, then you start to get bombarded with pop-ups and malware.

Just be very careful with apps like these.

ATB Frank.

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2014 at 5:52pm

Thank you for your feedback as a longterm DS box tester. I decided to update my first topic post here with the warning about this app and the possible malware.

Perhaps this online antivirus checker could check the various URLs involved.

https://www.virustotal.com/

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #8 - Oct 24th, 2014 at 9:56am

frank59 wrote on Oct 23rd, 2014 at 2:24pm:
  I suspect the viewtelly app isn't totally legit.
They have all the sports channels from sky and bt, which is breaking copyright.
I've seen a few apps similar to this one, they seem Ok at first, then you start to get bombarded with pop-ups and malware.

Just be very careful with apps like these.
Frank while you seem concerned (like I do now) Iam thinking hang on the View Telly app was downloaded from Google Play Store So must we presume
that there are some apps on Google Play that could be dodgy etc in some way!! Regards

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2014 at 10:10am

denismartindale wrote on Oct 22nd, 2014 at 4:42pm:
This post is being modified in order to address the following posts and links to the viewtelly app on the Google Play Store...

Read the posts but don't automatically visit and install the app, as we aren't sure it should be used as it is now. The PC users may choose to visit the links, but I got some sudden antivirus threat reports from the AVG antivirus program for some of the free channels. Whether these could affect Internet device users as well means it isn't as suitable as other apps whether we tick yes to download from Unknown Sources or not. The viewtelly app seems merely to use the FilmOn app URLs for their Internet stream channels for worldwide and UK TV live channels as the FilmOn logo appears on the screen.

Here are the following forum posts for reference...

In reply to Bigboyuk's initial recommendation of view telly (or viewtelly)...

Please confirm if this is the correct app ie October 2014, as described:

Watch UK TV for FREE, Anytime, Anywhere Free!
viewtelly Live TV enables you to watch live TV for free in Standard Definition on your computer or mobile device wherever an internet connection is available.
You can watch your local channels or select from our huge line-up of channels from the UK, US, Europe, Latin America and Asia. Watch live Sports, News, Lifestyle, Movies, Shopping, Kids and more.
Watch UK LIVE TV for free!
Watch over 200 LIVE TV Channels for free in SD
Watch over 500 VOD Channels for free in SD

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.viewtelly

Thanks for the thumbs up Denis does View Telly know about certain channels that brought up a possible Malware/Virus
threat what channels seem affected? Could you let View Telly know
about these warnings. What version is your View Telly App? Regards

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2014 at 11:41am

Last night, I used this website URL checker for several of the viewtelly website's free UK channels an extra ones for special shows or subscription channels.

When the checker provided results, the scans confirmed zero out of 60 ie harmless.

I can't repeat any AVG virus alerts and blocks without visiting the viewtelly webpages again, but I'm not willing to do that.

Having a DS 1.2 set top box with the AVG antivirus app as well as the others and AVG Cleaner, I have already run initial scans. I haven't installed the viewtelly app since my PC already showed it merely used the FilmOn app's Internet streaming channels' URLs I've previously explained for the DS 1.5 topics earlier this year.

There are several TV apps for UK and worldwide TV and Radio channels, yet many add the FilmOn logo and that's why I searched online for the original URLs for separate TV channels.

Such a search may be providing just the PC version, yet sometimes the websites also provide an stb or mobile version which may be helpful.

Based on your recommendation, I posted the Google Play Store's URL which told me the October date, yet no earlier. Maybe earlier versions are safer, maybe not.

If any malware exists... it could be on a single viewtelly webpage, but all the ones checked showed zero out of 60. So no idea what created the 2 AVG virus threats detected and blocked.

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #11 - Oct 24th, 2014 at 12:02pm

denismartindale wrote on Oct 24th, 2014 at 11:41am:
Last night, I used this website URL checker for several of the viewtelly website's free UK channels an extra ones for special shows or subscription channels.

When the checker provided results, the scans confirmed zero out of 60 ie harmless.

I can't repeat any AVG virus alerts and blocks without visiting the viewtelly webpages again, but I'm not willing to do that.

Having a DS 1.2 set top box with the AVG antivirus app as well as the others and AVG Cleaner, I have already run initial scans. I haven't installed the viewtelly app since my PC already showed it merely used the FilmOn app's Internet streaming channels' URLs I've previously explained for the DS 1.5 topics earlier this year.

There are several TV apps for UK and worldwide TV and Radio channels, yet many add the FilmOn logo and that's why I searched online for the original URLs for separate TV channels.

Such a search may be providing just the PC version, yet sometimes the websites also provide an stb or mobile version which may be helpful.

Based on your recommendation, I posted the Google Play Store's URL which told me the October date, yet no earlier. Maybe earlier versions are safer, maybe not.

If any malware exists... it could be on a single viewtelly webpage, but all the ones checked showed zero out of 60. So no idea what created the 2 AVG virus threats detected and blocked.
May be the view telly app is ok but some of it's external channels are not? The URL in this post is it app or a website I currently use Malware Bytes and been recommended not to have too many security apps as they can conflict with each other and not really be any good so it's best to have one that covers many security issues. You know all this hassle i caused by the channels offering On Demand tv services that don't work as prescribed. Plug and play I don't think so!!!!!! Regards

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #12 - Oct 24th, 2014 at 1:24pm

The website can scan a file or click the URL tab and copy and paste some URL there. I did that with several of the free UK channels ie FilmOn displays that are embedded into the viewtelly's website and accessed from their Free channels webpage and channel logo links.

Once a URL scan is completed, it displays each of the scanners so we can view upto 60 reports eg site clean when it really refers to URL clean.

My TheWorld web browser can't get the SCAN IT action to work, so I switched to the more modern Chrome web browser for last night's tests.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print