Radio And Telly Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slow-loading webpages? Here's why (Read 1077 times)
denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Waltham TV region, Midlands
Slow-loading webpages? Here's why
Sep 2nd, 2015 at 11:30am

Every now and then I visit a webpage with my 50MB Broadband speed and expect webpages to load properly. Then I experience the slow-loading webpages that are based on long script errors or some amazing advert add-on that delays the basic info from loading first.

I've even had to use View HTML source to create the basic version without the adverts that sometimes crash the webpage.

Google delay the most basic webpage for its searches with Google animations. Yahoo adds on a half screen advert to its login webpage. Similarly with many high-faluting website home pages with a basic login at the top but all the articles and images below.

I try to type in the username and password and half the text hasn't even loaded right.

It seems we're lumbered with adverts and even if we upgrade to faster Broadband speeds the adverts get more intensified.

The flash adverts seem to be phased out by some websites freezing the playback hoping the advertisers will switch to what the "Controllers" want from them. Perhaps even downgrading their search engine ratings as well.

I sometimes try the lite or mobile or m or mobi website URLs instead and dread to think of how the pay as you go customers are dealing with their older and slower web browsers.

Thankfully, the Virgin Media cable networks has improved and offered the 50MB Broadband speed. This extra cost has paid for itself many times when going online to auction websites and getting webpages to load faster than the slower Broadband speeds could.

Some tech guys recommend not clearing out the Internet cache files as these help improve webpages loading times.

Another problem I learnt about was this year Microsoft's Internet Explorer was mucked about with and since then many loading errors have occurred such that I try other web browsers instead. I really want a better web browser that allows me access to the Internet cache files and images, not like some browsers that change the names around.

Many adverts prove helpful if related to a forum topic previously mentioning a product or a service, so these are welcomed, but so many adverts are timewasters. Their image files may be fancy animations or swf files, or even links to youtube videos being played automatically.

While there's an option to turn off images and other features, what's the point of that for the images you'd want or need to see anyway?

sky.com virginmedia.com freeview.co.uk freesat.co.uk netgem.tv
tinyurl.com/fetchtvstarter skyuser.co.uk/forum ukproxyserver.net
moneysavingexpert.com ebay.co.uk tinyurl.com/recentrtf www.google.com

IP Logged

Studon

Have you listened to FrequencyCast
yet?

Northampton
Re: Slow-loading webpages? Here's why
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2015 at 6:21pm

Denis
You say your speed is 50 MB (Mega Bytes) Thats fast, or do you mean 50Mb (Mega bits per second)

Studon

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2015 at 11:50am

There's loads of other reasons why web pages can run slow, Bandwidth problems, Internet traffic, ISP problems, etc,etc I have heard there is http2 coming soon no it's not the high speed trains they keep going on about but faster loading of web pages but when is this coming?? Regards

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Waltham TV region, Midlands
Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2015 at 8:00am

I see the difference that you mentioned, but previously it hadn't registered with me.

It's the 50 Mb speed according to the Virgin Media website info for their products and services.

As bigboyuk points out, there are other factors to consider. These may not be noticed if we've visited web pages before and already loaded the images.

Same again with web site design when a lot of data is controlled by the layout for the table containing the images and text and links. Even the dimensions of the images would improve loading times. Several smaller table sections would be better than just 1 table with everything loaded there.

But my chief concern is the amount of adverts. Google is trying to freeze the flash animations and getting us to manually agree to these playing as they did before.

So I don't limit myself to just 1 web browser. I've learnt that a few have some cool features worth testing.

sky.com virginmedia.com freeview.co.uk freesat.co.uk netgem.tv
tinyurl.com/fetchtvstarter skyuser.co.uk/forum ukproxyserver.net
moneysavingexpert.com ebay.co.uk tinyurl.com/recentrtf www.google.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print