Radio And Telly Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print
On Demand 5 Now Has A New Home/Name (Read 4114 times)
Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
On Demand 5 Now Has A New Home/Name
Feb 11th, 2016 at 8:09pm

It's called my5.tv Box Sets available too and all the usual stuff as well. But what I want to know is it now running HTML 5, the old Demand 5 used flash and as many will know on the Android Platform Flash was abandond it's been proven it's not secure and has many flaws. So the question is will it work on the DS Boxes? Regards

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Re: On Demand 5 Now Has A New Home/Name
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 11:56am

Any one had any problems with this new service please post your problems here! Regards

IP Logged

gomezz
Guru

Visitor to www.radioandtelly.co
.uk

Buckingham
Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 3:49pm

Not been able to get anything to play on any device.  It is a total bust!

Topfield 5800; Digitalstream DHR8205U; Humax DTR-T1000; Humax Foxsat HDR; Pioneer 420H HDD/DVDR
Pioneer BDP-320; Acer Revo R3610; Thor HDC75; Denon AV-F100;  Samsung LE55B651T; Oxford TX

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 5:00pm

You are joking?! Do you need to register first? Does it work on a Pc or is there problems with that device too? Thanks for the info I cant believe channel 5 for getting it wrong Regards

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Waltham TV region, Midlands
Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 11:50pm

The PC can get the website and the registration and set up the settings eg a PIN number and the option for subtitles or audio description on/off.

The first time I was using the AVANT web browser and the selected show didn't play, so I switched to the Internet Explorer and logged in and tested and this time the playback started mid screen not full screen, so the larger the PC monitor screen is the more you'll be able to see that way instead. The Prt Sc button got a paused frame captured and that meant I could use that image in a photo editor program and then crop it to that mid screen edge or just a selected area of the TV show itself.

While not as good as using the VM TiVo would be for recordings and so on, the PC got a reasonable soft focus playback and the audio was acceptable, too. Full bright colours for the TV show I tested.

I used the audio headphones that produce a clear sound and adjusted the TV show's playback to maximum, but it wasn't enough at that point. I had to use the PC's own audio volume setting to increase that to suit the playback. Obviously when the lip sync matches the TV showing you get used to reading the lips for any dialogue, but it's typical that the camera edits will keep switching between characters, thus delaying the viewer's understanding a little.

If the viewer gets some customised data that keeps a record of the programmes viewed I'm wondering if that also includes the failed times when the playback didn't start on any previously tested web browser.

I've not tested the playback on the Android devices yet, but remember that the DS box allows external 3 cables viewing and recordings, too. This is not as good as scart cables till we add a gold-plated scart adaptor unit for those 3 cables to connect the scart into a DVD recorder. Then I presume we'd get a soft focus view of a soft focus playback, yet better than nothing.

sky.com virginmedia.com freeview.co.uk freesat.co.uk netgem.tv
tinyurl.com/fetchtvstarter skyuser.co.uk/forum ukproxyserver.net
moneysavingexpert.com ebay.co.uk tinyurl.com/recentrtf www.google.com

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 12:00am

For the DS box, or Internet tablet, I'd be put off if a fav web browser app didn't work successfully with the my5 service, but there are several web browser apps to test such as Chrome, Firefox, UC HD browser, plus several lightweight web browser apps beyond these with much smaller file sizes. I'd also be wondering if any offered to save the video as Chrome does many times for video website playbacks.

Whether the my5 app works is the first test and if there are any extra opening or launch options still available eg standard or big view or launch app.

Otherwise, try the website:

https://www.my5.tv

If not directly, then via a google search.

Or the h t t p shortcut alternative here:

http://tinyurl.com/my5-tv

Remember that some web browser apps allow favourites to be stored as well as saving that login username and password, though that becomes a security risk you may not wish to use...

Help

https://help.channel5.com/hc/en-gb

The h t t p shortcut is

http://tinyurl.com/my5-tv-help

« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2016 at 1:08am by denismartindale »  

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 1:42am

On the PC, I checked and both the Slimbrowser web browser and the Opera web browser were able to visit, log in and view playbacks. TheWorld web browser was too old to work with the my5.tv website and a screen notice told me of the suitable web browsers like Internet Explorer and Chrome and Firefox and Safari.

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 7:47am

Could you check the my5 app and when on the website did you have to register/login first? I did just try the website searched for a programme but couldn't see where the video(s) are located you would think the  new website would be Android
compatible wouldn't you?? Regards

« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2016 at 11:44am by Bigboyuk »  

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 9:21pm

The Android app for the my5 service isn't accepting the DS 1.5 box so that could be because it's a rooted device. The minimum Android operating system being 4.1 and giving us a temporary hope only to see it stopped and no INSTALL option at all.

That led to various web browser tests on the DS 1.5. None of these got past the video loading stage so I was forced to look at error messages or just at a display with no central video animation... as we normally see for a video being loaded, as we see on the PC.

Several web browsers were tested, some couldn't load the my5.tv home page while others let me log in OK.

Nothing plays because nothing loads successfully in the first minute or longer.

I'm wondering if the my5.tv service offers any mobile version, such as we see in URLs beginning or ending with m. or mob. or mobi. or mobile.

So at present, I'm not sure if we're just blocked as rooted devices, or there's a flash player problem.

It may be interesting to try video player apps that can use a webpage video's correct URL successfully.

The my5.tv website has a top right right graphic meant to access the login form which works OK.

By the way, I was testing a short TV show not a full length film that my PC was able to show.

http://tinyurl.com/my5-tv

http://tinyurl.com/my5-tv-help

The top left graphic of 3 lines opens the categories and the search option leading to a revealed result if found. The opened link leads to a selection eg series 1 and series 2 as well as their episodes and their final showing date.

On the PC, we see the new episode's URL, but not on the DS 1.5 box as the URL often remained the same.

The MX Player app couldn't access the episode's URL if copied to that app and its streaming URL setup...

Query testing the exact episode video URL, if that's available in the HTML code for a specific video webpage.

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 11:14am

I will have a look at the My5 app and confirm what you say. All 4 will not work on rooted devices but will install. Prehaps there wasn't enough memory left on your 1.5 DS box to install it? I have tried to find this app and can't find it, typed in my5 and my5.tv and ondemand 5. It's just another case of this type of service not being made available to the masses! Regards

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2016 at 1:43pm by Bigboyuk »  

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 3:48pm

If the service does use flash and not HTML 5 then I can't see it working on Android devices. Unless you side load a new version of flash (off
unknown sites which is risky) which I would never do.

One way I could check on my DS is if you have a video URL that I can type in to the Chrome Browser address bar. But do you have to first register you details to view any programme? If you don't then at least I could try and access a video
via a URL. Am I right in saying channel 5 is co owned by channel 4? What ever the restrictions
are these need lifting so more people can use these important services. Regards

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2016 at 11:26am

Eventually found the app and like Denis there was no install button just a message saying this device is not compatible with the service couldn't see any mention about 'rooted' devices either.
Had a look around the FAQ's and there was a long list of programmes that can't be shown again  (due to legal reasons) that affects ALL Platform so actually there is little point in trying to use this service It's a complete waste of time IMHO. Regards

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #12 - Feb 22nd, 2016 at 6:08pm

When you think about it folks the Beeb and ITV don't impose silly restrictions like Rooted devices (Many Apps on Goggle Play will work finer on rooted/unrooted devices) or programme partners so why on earth does All 4 and my5 do this they have no need for it and box sets that you may have to pay for will lose money
in the long term for these 2 broadcasters. So frustraiting! I say bring back the full catch up tv.co.uk service it worked extremely well even on the Intempo Evolve device. I read the reviews on my5 app and they werent that good one person says it crashes using their device. People want these servics to work when they want to use it.
Simply not good enough IMHO. Regards
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2016 at 1:15pm by Bigboyuk »  

IP Logged

frank59

I used to be a guru on
here !

Blackburn
Reply #13 - Feb 23rd, 2016 at 3:02pm

Bigboyuk wrote on Feb 17th, 2016 at 11:56am:
Any one had any problems with this new service please post your problems here! Regards

I downloaded the app from Amazon to my Fire TV stick, after clicking to open the app and waiting several minutes, it wouldn't even load the homepage !

I then uninstalled it.   Smiley

ATB Frank.

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #14 - Feb 23rd, 2016 at 3:15pm

HI Frank Good to see you again Smiley I have seen the ad on Tv and shows channel 5 in the the line up which clearly doesn't work! I think some of these App developers need a course on programming a App for on demand Tv services LOL. Regards

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print