Send Topic Print
Andriod (Cyclone) STB (Read 812 times)
Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Andriod (Cyclone) STB
Apr 1st, 2016 at 5:53pm

Has any one heard of this? I went round to some ones house I haven't seen in years and they was showing me It's got My Apps on it along with Netflix, You Tube, And Google Play it's got a built in browser and you can down load other browsers too Smiley When it was switched on it booted up with a logo called SumVision It's about the same size as the DS box. Sells around £36. Regards

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Waltham TV region, Midlands
Re: Andriod (Cyclone) STB
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 12:39am

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=android+cyclone+sumvision

From the images shown, we can see the basic version as well as the QUAD version, so while there will be variations in performances we also know that it also depends on the Android operating version as well as whatever Google apps will accept the versions available. For £36, you can assume a basic standard, but nowadays we must require a working keyboard or some USB keyboard with wi-fi or USB connectivity. The decision to buy and try may be easy to do, but getting a refund, later on, is not as simple. A local High Street store is more likely to refund your money yet not be able to return any files to you or your stored personal data for various app logins. So don't save login details in the first place.

The user interface and various setups may have default settings that aren't suitable for our needs.

The downloading of an app may require the security setting switched off temporarily but we must switch to the secure setting afterwards. We know of app limitations, but is this a locked device stopping us from storing app data also on to some micro SD card to help the internal SD card to accept a few more apps later?

Remember that it's the storage limitations that will affect us in loading apps and antivirus and Google apps take priority. After these, how much storage is left? Usually, we need a minimum of 500 MB just to stay operational, yet if we download videos or large files, these use up storage till we transfer these to the micro SD card instead. Can we edit the download path eg external_storage?

Without technical testing, these Android devices aren't worth worrying about. They rely on app creators who keep updating what used to work to something that's iffy from then on, some not allowing us to choose to return to the previous version that worked.

However...

I'm of the opinion that the tendency now is just to throw our money at the wall and hope for the best, get average results and still gamble on the next device.

From experience with AEI in 2016, we can't trust our data or our return by Royal Mail to be confirmed by the makers or the sellers. We can't prove delivery unless signed for and even then the companies involved don't always care about customer needs, expectations or the upholding of the Sales of Goods Act for each new transaction involved.

If forced to buy locally, then, at least, we get some response at the counter or from the Manager, but repairs are unlikely and data security is impossible to prove one way or another.

£36 upwards? Check the various websites to see technical details and customer reviews.

sky.com virginmedia.com freeview.co.uk freesat.co.uk netgem.tv
tinyurl.com/fetchtvstarter skyuser.co.uk/forum ukproxyserver.net
moneysavingexpert.com ebay.co.uk tinyurl.com/recentrtf www.google.com

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Waltham TV region, Midlands
Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 1:27am

From the www.7dayshop.com website, I saw a £28 version of the 4.4 and 1.5 model for ethernet and wi-fi and 8GB storage. The mini wireless keyboard was about £14, yet also has a trackerball. With delivery, about £45. However, if bought locally, you may be able to get a better deal in regard to your return queries.

Does this sound reasonable? Worth a gamble? Would the keyboard be useful with any of our other Internet devices?

sky.com virginmedia.com freeview.co.uk freesat.co.uk netgem.tv
tinyurl.com/fetchtvstarter skyuser.co.uk/forum ukproxyserver.net
moneysavingexpert.com ebay.co.uk tinyurl.com/recentrtf www.google.com

IP Logged

Bigboyuk
Guru

The I-Player Guy

Stoke on trent
Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 10:08am

Android 4.4 and CPU @ 1.5 Ghz. Sounds as though it's very similar to the DS STB. Remember AEI bought a load of Android STB's, and bolted on their own UI amongst other things. Whats the betting that the OS can't be updated beyond 4.4!!! And the archietecture of the box is the same? As for keyboards I already have a Logitech K 400 with a tracker pad. Wonder if this device is 'rooted or not? Regards

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print