Radio And Telly Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Iplayer security pop up hidden (Read 335 times)
Doug742

Have you tried FrequencyCast
yet?

Iplayer security pop up hidden
Jan 2nd, 2013 at 1:51pm

Hi, some iplayer programs have a pop up box (Parental guidance lock) where you have to tick a box to confirm you're over 16 etc. before it will allow you to play the program (usually due to it containing 'some strong language').

This box appears under the program image so I can't see it. As the box is slightly bigger the the program image I can right-click on the edge of it and click on inspect element which brings the box to the top. However, as I move my cursor across the options they disappear and I can see the program through it.

Does anyone know how I can get this box to appear above the program image?

I'm using google chrome and I am only aware of this problem on the iplayer site.

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Waltham TV region, Midlands
Re: Iplayer security pop up hidden
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2013 at 4:09pm

Some web browsers have a zoom in/out magnification option instead of just 100%. So there are times I need to use this for my 800x600 PC screen webpage displays. The changes can sometimes move the features closer or further apart to display the section needed in a better way.

Some websites have preferences such as Google search which sets for including non filtering results.

Website visitors may also use website Contact Us webpages to provide feedback and offer suggestions as to how the displays work well or don't show the correct display regardless of which web browser is used. We tell them our Operating System and web browser version and Broadband speed if required. They tell us if they can update or not. In some cases, an online chat service helps or the FAQs webpages help instead.

Website forums also provide customer input as to what worked yesterday or today.

The trend is to provide action links instead of action links as well as text links eg yes or no text links that offer a second chance response.

If webpages become too complicated with all the extra side links etc, then a lite version of the webpage should be provided as a workaround.

Forums have many ways to customise preferences, so if a webpage has a customer login, perhaps the adult age could be included there rather than on a basic webpage where nobody is required to log in.

Do you have the exact URL web address for us to visit and see if we can get further? Have you tried other web browsers?

sky.com virginmedia.com freeview.co.uk freesat.co.uk netgem.tv
tinyurl.com/fetchtvstarter skyuser.co.uk/forum ukproxyserver.net
moneysavingexpert.com ebay.co.uk tinyurl.com/recentrtf www.google.com

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2013 at 4:19pm

When we visit a webpage with several links, we can also try the TAB key to move to the next link or SHIFT+TAB to reverse to the previous link. Do these actions help to get to the link to change the setting? The magnification may change the display so as to show the link required.

As I use the TAB key on the RT Forum, the Status Bar, at the base of the screen, displays the URL for each link, or action.

IP Logged

Doug742

Have you tried FrequencyCast
yet?

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 1:29pm

I have tried changing the zoom level box is still hidden behind tv program image, It occurs when trying to play any program which contains strong language. Works fine on other computers with similar set-up.

bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01n7071/John_Bishop_The_Sunshine_Tour/

This program is an example of one which produces the pop-up box. When you click play it pops up, normally remaining infront (on mine it jumps to the back ground)

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 2:13pm

The pop-up display:

Parental Guidance Lock
Contains strong language.

'John Bishop: The Sunshine Tour' may be unsuitable for young audiences.

Yes, I am aged 16 or older (tick box)

Parental Guidance Lock lets you set a password to control access to guidance-labelled BBC content on your computer.

More info:

www.bbc.co.uk/guidance/help

:::::

www.bbc.co.uk/guidance/

Try this option?

The URL you provided has this extra guidance setting option, such that it has a tick box for those aged 16 and over and prompts for a password to view adult programmes and can also post a reminder to your email address should you forget it.

Is this extra option able to assist you in viewing adult programmes like this? Does it avoid the problem you have described based on your zoom tests etc?

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 2:21pm

Once I set up the details, I got extra info here on how to turn off the guidance lock setting.

www.bbc.co.uk/guidance/#

Another pop-up appears without the need to tick the 16+ box, just enter the password.

Then test the bbc url again.

The iplayer desktop info is here:

LINK: desktop info

IP Logged

denismartindale
Guru

I got Sky, Freesat and
Freeview! Now I'm skint!

Reply #6 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 2:32pm

When I visited the url:

LINK: John Bishop programme

I noticed that the padlock graphic was open, unlocked, so no pop-up notice was displayed.

I could switch to padlock closed, locked, as the option was displayed as my choice to be updated or not.

When the programme started OK, there was an extra option to report issues, so that may be a way of getting the BBC to update its displays for separate window access to the 16+ option or moving it always to the foreground, depending on your web browser being made known to them and with follow-up tests.

Google found some foreground/background pop-up problems and there are ways to resolve these.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print