Radio And Telly Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Digital Radio keeps cutting out late at night (Read 9087 times)
suecwd

Watch this space

Digital Radio keeps cutting out late at night
Jan 15th, 2007 at 10:19pm

I bought a Teac R3 for Christmas and really love it. However, I am experiencing a problem but am not sure if it the radio or something else !

I can listen to the radio all day and not experience any problems but once it approaches 11pm (sometimes 10 or 15 mins before) the radio will cut out for 2-3 seconds every couple of minutes or so. It's really irritating and impossible to listen to.

I have taken the radio back to the shop I bought it in but cannot recreate the problem. I have taken their display model home to see how it fares and have exactly the same problem. It's on now (22.15) and there are no problems but within the next 45 mins it will start again.

I have tried leaving it off all day and only switching it on after 11pm in case it was overheating through overuse but it still cuts out.

I'm going to borrow a friends radio in the next couple of days (different make) to see what happens.

Has anyone experienced this or know why it may be happening.

Many thanks Sue

IP Logged

gomezz
Guru

Visitor to www.radioandtelly.co
.uk

Buckingham
Re: Digital Radio keeps cutting out late at night
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 11:29pm

Could be a neighbour using their wireless network connection.

Topfield 5800; Digitalstream DHR8205U; Humax DTR-T1000; Humax Foxsat HDR; Pioneer 420H HDD/DVDR
Pioneer BDP-320; Acer Revo R3610; Thor HDC75; Denon AV-F100; Samsung LE55B651T; Oxford TX

IP Logged

suecwd

Watch this space

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2007 at 9:18pm

Thanks for the reply. My neighbour has wireless connections and he is always online or gaming very late at night. I never realised this could be a problem. I'm going to speak to him to see if the times fit. If this is the cause then its fine, I just want to find out whether my radio is faulty or not.

Thanks.

IP Logged

suecwd

Watch this space

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 11:55pm

Hi,

It doesn't seem to be my neighbour so I decided to borrow a friends radio and put them both on together. My radio still has the same problem but hers keeps playing ! The signal strength just suddenly drops to nothing on mine and the radio is either silent for 5-15 seconds or sometimes briefly switches to another station. I can't understand it particularly as her radio seems unaffected. I'm gutted because I did a lot of research and really like that fact that this had an internal rechargeable battery and the sound is great but maybe I'm going to have to think about changing.

Has anyone got any more ideas or has anyone experienced similar late night cutting out ?

Thanks.

IP Logged

tegco

Visitor to www.radioandtelly.co
.uk

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2007 at 10:52am

suecwd wrote on Jan 19th, 2007 at 11:55pm:
Hi,

It doesn't seem to be my neighbour so I decided to borrow a friends radio and put them both on together. My radio still has the same problem but hers keeps playing ! The signal strength just suddenly drops to nothing on mine and the radio is either silent for 5-15 seconds or sometimes briefly switches to another station. I can't understand it particularly as her radio seems unaffected. I'm gutted because I did a lot of research and really like that fact that this had an internal rechargeable battery and the sound is great but maybe I'm going to have to think about changing.

Has anyone got any more ideas or has anyone experienced similar late night cutting out ?

Thanks.

Hello,

If its a pull out aerial try making it shorter by say a quarter and then rescan.

This has worked for me.

IP Logged

radiodoc

Watch this space

Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2007 at 12:45am

I have a teac r3 and have had exactly the same problem. Changing aerial does not appear to help. Any other suggestions welcome.

IP Logged

suecwd

Watch this space

Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2007 at 1:00am

Hi,

Finally, someone else with the same problem !!!

I have spoken to TEAC tech support and they say they have never heard of this before but it definitely shouldn't be happening. Perhaps you could call them also so that they take it more seriously (the number is 08702-404549 and I spoke to James).

The guy I spoke to (I got the impression that there is only him on support) said he would take the office one home and check. When I spoke to him the next day, Wednesday 23/1/07, he said he didn't do this as he remembered he didn't have DAB reception where he lived and he would try and get a colleague to look into it. I have heard nothing since.

I haven't been very impressed with TEAC in the support of this matter and have lost confidence in the product as when I told tech support I was thinking of bringing the radio back for a refund he was in agreement that this seemed the best course of action.

I will chase up TEAC again this week but let me know if you contact them and if they have any further info.

Thanks.

IP Logged

radiofan

London
Reply #7 - Jan 28th, 2007 at 2:42am

I would suspect that it's a problem with poor front end design on the part of Teac.

The problem you are describing is typical of front end desensing. Basically it means that your radio can't handle strong out of band signals which are desensing the front end radio frequency stage of your receiver.
It could be ether a strong local transmitter, or alternatively some electrical equipment switching on and radiating interference.

The fact that your friends radio works ok, points to it having a better designed front end.
Your only solution is to change the radio for a better one, or improve the signal strength of your reception by using an external aerial. You need to make the wanted DAB signals strong enough to overcome the unwanted interfering signal.

Unfortunately there is no guarantee that even using an external aerial will cure the problem, as the external aerial may also boost the unwanted interfering signal if it's within Band III.

My advice would be to change your radio for something made by Pure or Roberts. Pure have a reputation for good signal handling and sensitivity.

They can switch off Analogue any time they like!! I'm all Digital now.Smiley

IP Logged

suecwd

Watch this space

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 1:40pm

Thank you radiofan for you info. I will be speaking to TEAC again when I get a few minutes.

Sue

IP Logged

rich152

Watch this space

Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 4:43pm

I've had exactly the same problem with my R3 - thought it was just me..!

Sue - any luck with any further help from Teac??

IP Logged

stewdent

Watch this space

West Midlands
Reply #10 - May 8th, 2007 at 2:31pm

At last, someone with the same problem.

I rang TEAC tech. sup. on the number that SUECWD gave (08702-404549) & was told that this is a recognised problem & that they were working on a replacement / updated model. They also intimated that I would be able to swap my model for the updated version, although when I pointed out that I bought my machine over 12 months ago he ummed & arred a bit, but took my details & said that he would call when the new model was available.

Fingers crossed....

IP Logged

Kerith

Radio & Telly Supporter

S.E. London
Reply #11 - Jan 12th, 2008 at 12:21pm

I am having the same problem, complete loss of signal at exactly 23:00 each night for about 5 seconds and then it happens again every 5 or so minutes for about 90 minutes. It does not happen at any other time I can find. Also it happens regardless of the station or multiplex I am listening to. The radio is a TEAC R3, I also have Philips and Pure DAB radios but neither of these have this problem. I live in SE London.

I contacted TEAC tech support and they said that this wasn't a known fault but the tech support guy admitted that he had had the same problem reported the day before from someone in Yorkshire.

I have returned my R3 to Teac and they say they have replaced the main circuit board and it tested OK. Guess what, the problem still persists. I have tried emailing the BBC but they will not answer specific problems. I have checked the DAB standards documents but cannot find any mention of something happening at 23:00 (GMT by the way).

Anybody else got any ideas?

IP Logged

stewdent

Watch this space

West Midlands
Reply #12 - Jan 13th, 2008 at 12:10pm

Hi, further to my prev posting, I spoke to TEAC tech support & they advised that this was a known problem with the software / firmware & that I should send my R3 to tech support & they would re-loaded it. Got the radio back from Teac in a little over a week, works a treat now, not had any problems since. I did speak to someone there while they had the radio & they were very friendly & helpful.
The fact that someone in Yorkshire has the same problem (or me in the midlands) or that other DAB radios don't get the same problem does point to a machine problem & not a geographical / transmitter problem. I don't think that you'll get much joy from the BBC either.
Try talking to TEAC again, the chap that I spoke to was James & he was very helpful.

IP Logged

lovelydualitradio

Radio & Telly Supporter

Reply #13 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 12:07am

Hi everyone, just to say im having the same problem with my lovely dualit radio. At about 11pm, in the west midlands, my radio decides to have an attitude and sounds like its underwater.

Tonight I have moved it across the room, played with the aerial, switched it on and off, done various signal checks, and then returned to factory settings, which have all worked to a tiny degree, but not that much.

Now normally the sound is fantastic, with a built in sub, and just generally great. But it decides when it wants to play Kerrang, or BRMB, both local stations.

I was just wondering whether it could be due to really gusty weather, as birmingham has had windy weather as late, but maybe not seeing as its digital. What do you guys think? Tonight is pretty blowy. Hmmm. Tell me if I sound blonde!

Ooooh look my radio now, 15 mins later, is back to normal. So strange.
Help. Huh Huh

IP Logged

Kerith

Radio & Telly Supporter

S.E. London
Reply #14 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 12:56pm

Many thanks for the replies.

I have contacted TEAC technical support again as suggested and this time I got a helpful lady although she admitted she couldn't help as the technical support offered is really just talking people through their manuals. She gave me the phone number of their service dept which I phoned. It turns out that the service dept. is a 3rd party company called Suntech who repair TEAC equipment apart from the R3 DAB Radio which now has to be returned to TEAC directly for repair. Suntech gave me the phone number of Peter in TEAC's service dept. which is 01923 438841.

So I phoned Peter and he told me that TEAC have taken all repairs for the R3 back in house since Jan 2008, do I detect there may be something deeper here? Peter suggested I take the radio back to the dealer and get it replaced. I said that the dealer is about 200 miles away. He then agreed to accept the radio back directly at TEAC. He didn't actually seem aware of this problem but said that they would reload the firmware and test the unit.

So my R3 is now winging its way back to TEAC (another 15 in courier's fees which I have complained about) and I will post the outcome.

As for the Dualit problem, does it happen every night at 11pm? You mention BRMB and Kerrang, but does it happen on any other stations (particularly BBC national stations). If it happens on BRMB and Kerrang (and other local stations) and not the BBC stations, the problem could be your reception from the MXR Ltd's local multiplex used by both stations. If the problem happens on all stations, then it sounds like your radio and you should contact the manufacturer. It may be possible that you Dualit has the TEAC workings inside. I wouldn't have thought Dualit, reknown for electrical kitchen gadgets, would have the knowhow to produce a DAB radio and may have had it developed by a 3rd party (perhaps TEAC), and therefore the same problems.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print