Radio And Telly Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Signal Strength and Quality for BT Vision (Read 4510 times)
connorsj

Watch this space

Stockport
Signal Strength and Quality for BT Vision
Jan 29th, 2007 at 1:45pm

Hello,

I have never used Freeview at home as I have had Sky+ till now. I have recently had my BT Vision installed, but I don't think my ariel is up to the job (it is a loft ariel that is at least 20 years old).

Can someone give me an idea what signal strenght and picture quality (I think these are the correct names for what the box provides when viewing strength in the settings menu) I should be getting? I seem to be getting good values for say bbc 1 and 2, but poorer for other channels (five etc).

Many thanks,

connorsj
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2011 at 12:41pm by Admin »  

IP Logged

hindsight

Nostalgia's not what it
used to be!

Re: Signal Strength
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 2:07pm

There's absolutely no substitute for a good, modern digital aerial.  A 20 year old loft aerial is just not going to cut it and channel 5 reception is a good indicator as it isn't braodcast with the same strength as BBC.  You may also find that you're not getting the full 58 channels found on your channel scan.

John

IP Logged

londonpride

Watch this space

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 4:47pm

If you want to check the signal strength reading go into the settings menu, then TV settings. then DTT. This will give you signal strength and signal quality for each individual channel.

IP Logged

Paul Harman
Guru

Essex Coast
Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 10:26am

Connersj

Let us have your postcode and we should be able to calculate a window of acceptable signal strength readings. The amount of acheivable signal strength will vary from multiplex to multiplex and by location.

There are very few analogue aerial installations that are suitable for analogue, let alone digital so you should budget to upgrade the aerial installation.

Paul

Patiently waiting for analogue switchoff

IP Logged

connorsj

Watch this space

Stockport
Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 10:37am

My postcode is SK6 7ER.  I checked the signal strength yesterday and I think it was 100% (noticed it's added the % sign on firmware upgreade yesterday) for BBC1 and BBC2, but was floating around the 50's on Five.  On another note the box still has plenty of lockups even after the firware update.

IP Logged

Paul Harman
Guru

Essex Coast
Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 11:02am

Connorsj

At first glance I would expect you to have signal strength above 0% and below 57% on all multiplexes, so you would appear to have far too much signal strength. But you say that there is a % after the figure, wheras there should only be a % after the quality reading which should be 100% at all times.

If you have over 57% signal strength I am not surprised that you are getting lockups. Do you have an RF amplifier in line? if so you need to remove it. You should be getting sufficient signal from the aerial alone.

Paul

Patiently waiting for analogue switchoff

IP Logged

connorsj

Watch this space

Stockport
Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 11:14am

Paul,

May thanks for your reply. I'm guessing that I am mistaken and I am quoting the quality reading, not the signal strength. Problem is that I am at work at the moment and am trying to remember what I saw last night!! It was the bottom value that I have quoted, so from memory I think it was;

BBC1

~50
100%

Channel 5

~15
~55%

I will check this evening and confirm.

connorsj
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2007 at 3:54pm by connorsj »  

IP Logged

hindsight

Nostalgia's not what it
used to be!

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 3:33pm

Well, I've just been to the local Dixons and bought a new gold plated TV patch lead for the aerial socket to the BTVbox and wow - signal stregth on Ch5 has just jumped from 30/16% quality to 38/100% quality. I couldn't believe it, so popped the old cable back and it dropped down again. Money well spent I would say - the previous lead was the freebie one thrown in with the telly - never again.

John

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print