Radio And Telly Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Thomson 6300 - 12hours F/vw if I don't subscribe? (Read 1696 times)
gfamily

Radio & Telly Supporter

Thomson 6300 - 12hours F/vw if I don't subscribe?
Nov 3rd, 2007 at 12:45am

Aldi are selling the Thomson dti 6300-16 for Tu-TV

I've read that it allows 'up to 20 hours' of Freeview recording, when you subscribe to download the TU-Anytime channels.

If I ditch the TU-Anytime subscription, do I get the full 120 hours available for Freeview recordings?

What can I do with the recordings on the HDD, is there a way of backing up the recordings via USB or sending a set of programs to a separate DVD-R?

IP Logged

purple-bobby
Guru

West Sussex
Re: Thomson 6300 - 12hours F/vw if I don't subscri
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 6:30pm

Yes, with all the TopUp TV channels disabled/inactive you should get most of the 160GB/120hr for your own use.

Currently, you can only play back the recordings through a SCART socket and record the analogue signal. There is an USB socket, but presently does not have any use. The recordings themselves are stored encrypted, so you can take the hard-disk out and copy the files on a Linux (compatible) PC, but you can not (easily) play them on your PC.  It would be easier to get a Freeview card/dongle (such as http://www.nebula-electronics.com/products/prodmain.asp ).

bobby

IP Logged

gfamily

Radio & Telly Supporter

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2007 at 12:43am

Thanks for the info. Having a dual tuner would be handy, but I'd rather wait until there is one that includes a facility to backup to DVDs

IP Logged

nidgep

Visitor to www.radioandtel
ly.co.uk

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 10:25am

hi

I have just bought this unit (Thomson DTI 6300-16) and am not interested in the TUTV and i don't have a card or a subscription.

In the recording area - it states that there is approx 69hrs 54mins available for recording.

In the TUTV menu it shows a value of '70' reserved for TUTV.  Is this robbing me of valuable disk space?

Also, the EPG is only 7 days - not 14. Is this also due to the fact that i'm not using TUTV?

Will resetting the box or formatting the hard drive solve the space problem?

regards

nidgep

IP Logged

purple-bobby
Guru

West Sussex
Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 11:37am

In the TopUp setup menu you need to deactivate all the TopUp channels - one and half pages worth, to stop space being reserved for these.

The 14 day EPG (with series link) downloads around 11:00 am each day, I'm not sure you do or do not need TopUp to get this. If you are recording two programmes at this time you will probably not get the 14 EPG.

It is probably not necessary to format the HDD, although I can't see it doing any harm. You probably just need to put the box in standby, wait until any recording finishes, and remove the mains power from the box for 30 seconds. When the amber LED changes to red, rescan the tuning.

bobby

IP Logged

halfmanhalftenor

Radio & Telly Supporter

Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 2:20pm

> Thanks for the info. Having a dual tuner would be handy, but I'd rather wait until there is one that includes a facility to backup to DVDs

If that's your requirement, how about a Topfield TF5800 instead? It's a lot more expensive (>£200), but has a CAM slot for TUTV (if that still works on a box other than the Thomson?), a 250Gb hard disk, and a USB2 connection for a PC.

IP Logged

ringojai

Radio & Telly Supporter

Reply #6 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 1:00pm

Hi, I am new to TUTV. When I first bought this Thomson box and set it up without TUTV subscription, I wanted to record a freeview programme, however, the box did not allow me to do so. A text box pop up and ask me to subscribe to TUTV Anytime in order to access all functions of this box. Therefore, I have subscribed to the free trial, and I can now use the recording function.

What I would like to know is, if that is the case, at the end of the month if I cancel my TUTV subscription, does it mean I cannot use the recording function ever again? And this Thomson box just turn into a normal freeview box and not a freeview recorder box?

IP Logged

purple-bobby
Guru

West Sussex
Reply #7 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 3:14pm

Where and how did you buy it?
What conditions were applied when you purchased it?

If they didn't say the DTR would be useless if you didn't subscribe, then you should be able to either get your money back or the unit will be repaired.

bobby

IP Logged

ringojai

Radio & Telly Supporter

Reply #8 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 3:37pm

I bought it from Comet yesterday. Can always refund or exchange within 14days.

Does it mean a normal Thomson DTI6300 box should be able to record even if you do not subscribe?

IP Logged

purple-bobby
Guru

West Sussex
Reply #9 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 12:22am

Yes, AFAIK, it was only the larger discounted boxes with 12 month Top Up contact that had their record functions removed with the Top Up card/subscription - Top Up wanted to get their investment back.

bobby

IP Logged

tweddle

Watch this space

Slough, Berks
Reply #10 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 2:32pm

Bobby,  I bought mine back in dec' last year, and paid £99 (i think ) and then £9.99 per month and can cancel anytime so wasn't on the actual 12 month contract one , so does this mean i should have the  recording facility if I cancelled top-up?
Cheers Pete

IP Logged

purple-bobby
Guru

West Sussex
Reply #11 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 4:33pm

Yes, I think.

I remember two prices for existing Top Up customers (sweetener for loss of channels ): £75 + 12 x £9.99 and £125. New customers originally had to pay £180, but that reduced to £99 at some point.

Good grief, I've had mine for over an year.

bobby

IP Logged

tweddle

Watch this space

Slough, Berks
Reply #12 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 12:50pm

Cheers for that, I know what you mean incredible how time flies!!
Cheers Pete

IP Logged

Pook

Watch this space

London
Reply #13 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 3:41pm

This is depressing news, I was looking forward to cancelling my TopUpTV subscription and making a donation of the Thomson DTI6300-16 set top box on http://www.freecycle.org/.

I hadn’t realised that, unlike other set top boxes, this one is brain dead without the TopUpTV card.  So you couldn’t even give one away.

Oh well – bye bye TopUpTV, I gave you a chance but you failed – you stripped the online channels down to virtually nothing – the repetitive downloaded content was poor (I didn’t watch Shaft the first time it was downloaded and I haven’t changed my mind on the subsequent half dozen occasions) – worst of all the set top box is buggy and I don’t think it can be fixed because the same old problems persist across each of the software updates.

IP Logged

Suits Me

Thomson 6300 - 12hours F/vw if I don't subscri
Reply #14 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 4:00pm

Pook wrote on Dec 15th, 2007 at 3:41pm:
I hadn’t realised that, unlike other set top boxes, this one is brain dead without the TopUpTV card.  "So you couldn’t even give one away."

Pook,

Why don't you give your Thomson to me and I'll pay postage ?   Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print