TalkTalk TV – Now with added YouView
Here, you’ll find information on the digital TV service from UK Broadband provider TalkTalk, including information on their new YouView TV offering.
What is TalkTalk TV?
TalkTalk TV is a digital TV service that lets users watch live TV and on-demand content via a broadband-enabled phone line.
TalkTalk is one of the YouView partners, and they’re able to offer a free YouView box to their customers.
The YouView and TalkTalk offering became available in October 2012, and marks a re-entry into the digital TV market for TalkTalk after they closed their original TV offering to new customers some time back.
The new TV service combines live TV from Freeview, together with new services offered by the YouView service, and live sports. Unlike their rival YouView partner BT, TalkTalk is able to offer Sky Sports and Sky Movies channels on its TalkTalk service.
You can find more information about YouView on TalkTalk here: TalkTalk Plus TV
What does TalkTalk TV offer?
Here’s a summary of what’s on offer with TalkTalk’s TV service:
- Over 80 channels of digital TV from Freeview (including Freeview HD)
- Over 4,000 TV shows and movies on demand – you decide when you watch
- YouView set-top box with digital recorder
- Catch-up TV services from the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5
- 12 month subscription to LOVEFiLM on your iPad or laptop (offers 7,000 movies and TV shows)
- Access to on-demand content from the TalkTalk Player
- Access to blockbuster movies from Lovefilm Box Office and Now TV
- Broadband (unlimited download)
- A telephone service with free calls to UK landlines
- Optional Sky Movies and Sky Sports
The TalkTalk YouView box, manufactured by Huawei
TalkTalk TV Boosts
TalkTalk’s YouView offering comes with access to all of the Freeview channels, but you can take out optional “Boosts” to add more channels. TV Boosts are available for one month at a time, so you can watch, what you want, when you want to, without being tied into lengthy contracts.
The Original Talk Talk TV Service
Originally known as Tiscali TV (until the Carphone Warehouse’s takeover of Internet firm Tiscali), TalkTalk TV offered TV channels over the phone line.
The service, which as of 2012 is still running, offers over 70 channels of digital TV, over 1500 on-demand movies, over 5000 music videos, hundreds of TV series, and a TV rewind service. Digital TV channels include:
Sky One, Sky Two, Pick TV, Comedy Central, GOLD, SyFy, BBC Three, E4, More4, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, Film4, ESPN, Discovery, National Geographic, Chelsea TV, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Cbeebies, Sky Sports, Sky Movies, and more.
TalkTalk TV’s old On-screen guide
TalkTalk TV’s old EPG screen
The original TalkTalk TV service came with a PVR (digital recorder) that could hold 50 hours of TV. It had the ability to record up to three things at once – a digital stream of TV-over-Internet, as well as two Freeview channels (if you connect the box to a TV aerial). Record TV-over-Internet onto the PVR and play back on your telly.
- YouView Reviewed
- YouView from BT
- Channel comparison – See which TV service carries your favourite channel
- Internet TV – More on IPTV in the UK
- UK Digital TV – More on digital TV in the UK
- Freeview – Information on free-to-view channels via your TV aerial
- BT Vision – On-demand TV over Broadband without subscription
- Sky Digital. – The largest digital channel lineup
- Discuss digital TV in our TV forum